Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First "Mod"

Default Re: First "Mod"

I know my web cam is horrible =(

But yeah, its a heat sink with a fan. Both the heat sink, and the card itself are very hot, I wouldn't hold my finger on the heat sink for more then a few seconds right after I turn the comp off..

But I just swiped the graphic card (Raedon 9250 256mb I think) out of my bros computer and put it in here for now.. My Radeon 9800 pro was only 128 mb of memory, so does that mean his will work better then mine? Even though its an older version? (Completely disregarding the problems I'm having with mine)

Austral Alien

I'm not sure on cards performance, but is it doing the same thing in your Brothers computer? It could be a good way to see if there is a problem with the card if you haven't tried it on his.

Also, is the fan actually working on the video card?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

I didn't actually finish the swipe yet, I'm going to tomorrow. But his card is working fine in my comp now.. And yeah, the fan works.

Austral Alien

Let us know after you have tried the card in his PC, as if your PC is fine with his, it really is seeming like a borked video card.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Alright, but either way i'm getting a new video card. After a round of Counterstrike Source, I learned that his card is pretty bad compared to mine(And his doesn't support dual monitors) - and mine was bad enough. Does anyone have any suggestions on which card to get? I heard that the Geforce 8600GT is pretty good (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814150229), and it has a nice price.

Austral Alien

Does your MoBo have a PCiE x16 port for the video card, or is it AGP? That will be the biggest influence for you decision.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

AGP, but I'm really debating on weather or not I want to just start fresh with a new mobo and case. I really don't want to go and buy a new graphic card, having my computer itself being about 6 years old. I was browsing around new egg at mobo's, and I was seeing alot of atx motherboards with 939 sockets and I'm fairly sure thats what mine currently is. That way I could buy a new mobo for now, and just get the case later.

**Edit** Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for us to talk on Yahoo?

Austral Alien

Think about your budget and what you may want to spend. Buying a new motherboard for no real reason seems a waste of money if yours is still working.

Either buy a decent AGP card for what you have, or save your pennies and upgrade the whole machine.

PS, what specs is you current PC if it's 6 years old?
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

if you upgrade motherboard your undoubtedly going to have to upgrade ram as well. my old Gefocre 4 MX 400 on my old pc is friggen hot, right at the core. the heatsink if you want to call it that is completely useless so i lapped it and snaded the core a bit, only took the lettering off. i'm not sure if it helped since i have no temp probe on it.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

6 Years old is an estimate, though it may be off by up to a year either way. But me not being the hardware type as you can obviously tell by now, all I can tell you is that its an
    Intel Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz processor,
    1 gig ram (2x 256mb, 1x 512mb) PC2700 DDR2
    What seems to be micro BTX motherboard:
    Code:
     BTX (Balanced Technology Extended)
    2004 BTX 12.8 - 10.5
    2004 microBTX 10.4 - 10.5
    2004 picoBTX 8 - 10.5
    4 PCI Express slots,
    1 AGP slot
    A pretty low voltage power supply (I get a low power voltage message every time I boot),
    2 2.5"*5.5" front bays
    2 2.5"*3.5" front bays
    (I think I got those bays dimensions right)
    And one fan.

My reasoning to get a new motherboard was simply because this one is old. My explanation of that reason:
    If I were to go out and buy a new graphic card meant specifically for an AGP slot (Is that what its called, AGP slot?), then later on once my motherboard actually does die - motherboards with an AGP slot wont be very popular/efficient if I'm told correctly by someone who says they are old as itis. Therefore causing me to have to get a new motherboard, AND a graphic card, and possibly any other things I get in the time in between.