Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HEEELP! partitioned disk space but the other half isnt working!

Greco101

Default Re: HEEELP! partitioned disk space but the other half isnt working!

Thanks guys. I decided to go 100-140. I'll be running a couple more hd's when the time calls for them but for now it's plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    I agree with everyone else. One personal exception.. I would allocate 20 gigs for the windows partition. You have 250 gigs to play with. So, I would also create a partition specifically for the windows swap or page file. That space should be at least 1.5 times the amount of RAM you have in your system, but no more than double. So if you have 1024 (1 Gb) MB of RAM, you want at least 1536 (1.5 Gb) MB for the swap partition, but no more than 2048 (2Gb)MB.
    I'm a little lost? windows swap or page file? I don't understand why ram is being involved?

EDIT:: I changed the multiplier from x6 to x9 but in cpu-z it's still showing up at x6? Wth?

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greco101 View Post
    Thanks guys. I decided to go 100-140. I'll be running a couple more hd's when the time calls for them but for now it's plenty.
    That's a decent mix. Mine's a bit smaller, but that's only because I'm running XP SP2 and Ubuntu.

I'm a little lost? windows swap or page file? I don't understand why ram is being involved?
    Windows makes it a habit to store non-essential information relating to programs in a temporary swap file. This is about the easiest way I can explain it without having to bust out my A+ Certification book and bore you to death. :p

EDIT:: I changed the multiplier from x6 to x9 but in cpu-z it's still showing up at x6? Wth?
    Did you save before exiting?

HTH,
    DrumThumper
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Greco101

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post

Windows makes it a habit to store non-essential information relating to programs in a temporary swap file. This is about the easiest way I can explain it without having to bust out my A+ Certification book and bore you to death. :p

Did you save before exiting?

HTH,
    DrumThumper

Is that the book you're using? If so, what should I look up?

and I read up on cpu-z's site and it's because of "C1E (Enhanced Halt State) and/or EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology)." I started up a game and it jumped up to 2.4 and x9

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

No, I've got a copy of:

And I've read it cover to cover a couple times. I still need to get around to taking my tests--perhaps after I get done with my next two college classes I'll do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Swap file.. page file. Different names for the same thing. + rep to Drum Thumper cuz he did a good job of explaining it. Here's a pretty good article with more info.
    http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/swpfile1.html

Greco101

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    And I've read it cover to cover a couple times. I still need to get around to taking my tests--perhaps after I get done with my next two college classes I'll do that.
    Ya, it's a pretty expensive test... I had to drop out of the class because I came in 3 weeks late and it's damn hard to catch up. I'll be taking A+ and Business 101 in the fall

Fresh Paint

Swap file.. page file. Different names for the same thing. + rep to Drum Thumper cuz he did a good job of explaining it. Here's a pretty good article with more info.
    http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/swpfile1.html
    Well this make sense but I found people going out of the topic. But my friend Stefan who is the member of this site had given me strict warning that these sites can't allow you to go off the topic like we do in Facebook. So.. that's why was just being so careful and found people going out of the topic. Even they found such people going off the topic they will lock our username. So is it really true...?? I mean I am less concerned about going off the topic but for locking the account..?? I am Pankti, new to this forum. I am replying this after having a deep thinking about what to write and what not to write.

Regards,
    Pankti
    __________________________________________________ __
    Fasching Kostüm

You are not going to get your account locked because you went off topic... Cute thought though.

Dont worry about the pagefile, you dont see any improvment with it at all unless you can put it on a diffrent phsyical drive.

The pagefile is best thought of as an area on your hard drive that windows uses as if it were ram.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Epic necro while having an interesting amount of irony.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

did anyone catch the spam in his sig?