Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a test power supply

Austral Alien

Default Making a test power supply

I had an old 200W power supply from a ****ty Gateway machine lying around and as it's pretty much usless for most PC's (it doesn't even use a standard ATX mounting) I thought I'd turn it into a test PSU so I can check fans or USB powered devices, or just when I need either 12v or 5v power for something.

So here's the PSU as I started:

With it opened up you can see all the wires going to the circuit board. I don't need most of these.

So I trimmed it down to only the ground wires, the yellow 12v wires, the red 5v wires and the green wire I need to turn on the PSU.

Rather than use the original hole in the top where the wires came out before, I fed them through a small hole that was already in the end and then put heatshrink over the wires and fed it through the hole before shrinking it down. that will stop the wires from having any chance of wearing through and shorting.

I thought I still had a couple of small project boxes lying around, but if I do I don't know where, so tomorrow I'll head down to the electronics shop and pick one up. I'm going to have the wires feed straight into the small project box which I'll mount on the end of the PSU.
    I'll have a couple of molex plugs, a couple of USB plugs and a couple of three pin fan plugs mounted in the project box, along with a switch for the PSU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Default Re: Making a test power supply

why don't you mount the molex plugs and others on the psu case? then its 1 neat little box instead of 2.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

I see all of the wires are hanging out through that hole. The green one and one of the black ones (uh oh, there's a bunch) need to be shorted, so you may want to cut those really short, and short them inside the PSU box.
    RIP Bucko

Austral Alien

Thanks for the ideas and concern, but there is method to my madness.
    Mal, the reason I'm not shorting the wires inside the case is because I want a way to turn the PSU on and off. There is no switch on the back of this PSU, so I'll be putting the switch in the project box. All the ground wires lead back to the same spot, so it doesn't matter which one I use for what.

I've just got back from the Electronics Shop, so I'll finish this off over the next couple of hours.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Thanks for the ideas and concern, but there is method to my madness.
    Mal, the reason I'm not shorting the wires inside the case is because I want a way to turn the PSU on and off. There is no switch on the back of this PSU, so I'll be putting the switch in the project box. All the ground wires lead back to the same spot, so it doesn't matter which one I use for what.

I've just got back from the Electronics Shop, so I'll finish this off over the next couple of hours.
    Ahhh, now I see...

And I wasn't aware they all went to the same spot. Hooray, I've learned something today! It's like school all over again :p.
    RIP Bucko

Austral Alien

They all go to the same spot on this PSU anyway. Bigger and better ones may well be different.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Austral Alien

It's all finished and working!

Here's the final few steps I took.

First off the project box with the holes roughly cut out:

Then I attached the box to the end of the PSU with a couple of screws and started on the Soldering. I attached the plugs to the box with epoxy:

A couple of shots of the finished product. I didn't end up worrying about USB connectors as they are easily available on the front of my computer anyway. I added a car cigarette lighter socket, male and femae molex plugs, two 3 pin fan plugs and on the side I got a spring loaded speaker connection if I want to hook something up to 12v which doesn't have any sort of plug.

The power switch on the other side:

And finally a shot of it happily running a fan from a 3 pin and from a molex:

Hopefully you can see why I wanted to use a project box on the end rather than try and put all that in the PSU itself. Besides, plastic is a lot easier to cut with a dremel and file it to size.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Awesome idea man! I gave you a rep in the other thread. Man, I've got so many ideas in my head right now. Little projects n stuff. I can't wait to get my own house!

Austral Alien

Thanks. I've just finished it off with a coat of black paint. Once it's dried I'll add another picture.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Austral Alien

Black paint to just finish it off a little:

hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello