Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lapping a Processor

Default Lapping a Processor

i'm posting this here becuase there is no cpu section (how come by the way? or ram for that matter) does anyone lap there procs?

i tried it on a old proccessor but i didn't didn't put the sand paper on a perfectly flat surface so it didn't come out right. also i went from 500 grit to 1000 to 2000. and i didn't do it long enough on the 1000 or 2000 so its not mirror like in finish. here are some pics.

this was about 10-15 minutes of total work. if i had gone with 30 minutes, up 2500 grit, and had a flat surface (glass) then it would come out better.

here is a link if you don't know how/what lapping is. Note that if you do this it voids your warranty.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Default Re: Lapping

We used to have CPU and RAM sections but they didn't get enough posts to bother keeping them. You are actually the first person I've seen on this site who has tried lapping. Have you tested it yet?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

if you get some nice polish and a polish cloth...you can get a REALLY nice finish on it

can't i don't have a mobo to go with it. also i don't know what it was like before. i got it when i was riding my bike home and i saw a computer being thrown out and i couldn't resist opening it and checking things out. its also the pc i got the harddrive i tried to make a window with. i just wanted to see if it actually works then i would try it on my new pc (once i get it anyway) maybe. but i will definitely do it to the heatsinks and water blocks once i upgrade to water.

Quote Originally Posted by b4i7 View Post
    if you get some nice polish and a polish cloth...you can get a REALLY nice finish on it
    i was thinking that too but from what i was told you can/should only have a thermal paste in between the proc and heatsink.
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

all a polish is, is a SUPER fine sandpaper... it will clean right off then thermal paste your processor

Austral Alien

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    i'm posting this here becuase there is no cpu section (how come by the way? or ram for that matter)
    Actually there is. MoBo Mojo covers it if you read the section description.
    Questions, Comments & Discussions about Processors & Motherboards.
    So I'll move it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by b4i7 View Post
    all a polish is, is a SUPER fine sandpaper... it will clean right off then thermal paste your processor
    oh i thought it was a compound that would fill in the scratches to amke it shiny. i have some that came with a dremal kit i will try it maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Actually there is. MoBo Mojo covers it if you read the section description.
    ahhh... i was looking for cpu not processor.

well i was heading to bed and saw the dremel and couldn't resist it so i got some polish compound and heres the results.

its not perfect mirror finish but close. when i rub the compound off it gets a bit duller. if i were to do this to my used proc i'm not sure if i would want to becuase i'm not sure if this get rid of the flatness all the sanding does. but man it sure does feel smooooooth.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Lapping a Processor

ahhh... its so blindingly shiny! ^_^

That looks 200 times better than before, what kind of polish did you use?

Pretty cool stuff though, lowers it by 2-3 degrees celsius, every lil bit counts to some people.

btw, what processor is that?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Very nice! I lapped both my Blue Orb and my Freezer 7 Pro, and I've been thinking about lapping my processor, but I'm iffy on sanding up something that I spent $370... lol.
    RIP Bucko

Dude, lap the heatsink, not the proc. Messing up your processor is an expensive mistake.

Heatsinks are fairly cheap comparatively. Still, nice job with the finishing compound.