Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best case?

Default What is the best case?

Hey guys, I'm going to start a new mod and I have a lot of ideas, but i can't seem to find the right case for the job. I've searched ebay, newegg, zipzoomfly, google, everywhere... I can't seem to find a decent priced case for this mod. I just wanted to see what everyone else likes. What is the easiest/best case to mod? I like cases with "curves" similar to the HPR series, but I can't seem to find any of those HP vectra cases anywhere.

Anyways, What do you guys think? What is the best case to mod?

Default Re: What is the best case?

thats a pretty general questions. It all depends on what you want to do, what your abilities and talents, how much money you want to spend, what material to do you want to work with... The list of options is endless as is the list of modding possiblities. so IMHO, to answer your question, there is no clear "Best case to mod".

and, Welcome to TBCS!

Thanks for your reply! I know its a broad question and I really don't expect to get answers like (this is the case that you want). I am just wanting to know what you guys like to work with. I'm going to be doing basic things such as air holes on the front, plexiglass on the sides, and add the usual things.

I will be working with...

Bondo
    Fiberglass
    Plexiglas's
    Thin metal
    Wood (if needed)

As for tools... Man I have spent over 300 bucks this week just in tools. I pretty much have all that I need or will use. Next week I'm going to buy a 42' Metal bender and possibly a plasma cutter..

As for money... I am not wanting to spend over 70 bucks, because I'm not sure I trust my skills with anything over that yet.. But at the same time, I'm not going to spend 20 bucks on the cheapest case that I can find. I want something that will get me the "best bang for the buck".

Thanks

p.s. Thanks for the warm welcome

Welcome to the MADNESS!

for a beginner, def go with ALL aluminum case. Bu ALL aluminum I mean side panels and inside frame. Some case companies sneak in a steel frame and wrap it in alum panels. This is not a bad thing, its just the fine print you have to look at.

Alum is easier to cut, shape, sand, smooth, shine...but is more expensive than steel. as far as what brand/model to get Here are my top five. Understand that there are inexpensive models available for each brand.

Lian Li
    Silverstone
    Antec
    Chenming/Chieftec(remember the old school Chieftec Dragons? love'em)
    Coolermaster
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

For the Vectra cases all I can say is search around. Someone's gonna have one dirt cheap. Start looking at garage sales, auctions, relatives houses, everywhere. Hell, Ebay has em from time to time, but you'll end up paying too much for one from there.

And if you're not trusting your skills yet, why not get some junker cases to practice on?

Welcome to your new addiction!

Edit: I see Crimson posted about aluminum. I personally prefer stainless, because it does take a bit more work to get it to cooperate--I tend to be a bit heavy handed at times, so I need something that's not going to give very easily. YMMV though!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by thrash View Post
    Next week I'm going to buy a 42' Metal bender and possibly a plasma cutter..

As for money... I am not wanting to spend over 70 bucks, because I'm not sure I trust my skills with anything over that yet..

LoL..and yet you want a plasma cutter...Hmmm..I'd say get a good case before you spend $900-3,000,000.00 on a cutter

@ Crimson - I'll deffinantly look at going all aluminum! I didn't know it was easier to cut, shape, or sand. I've looked at all of the types of cases that you have typed out, and I agree with you in your order. But I'm still stumped on how I'm going to do this mod with out the "round" look to the case. I guess I'll just have to start a different mod until I can find the case I'm really wanting. Thanks for the reply!

@ Drum - Yeah, I've been looking on eBay for days now and I can find the mini vectra cases that lay on it's side, but that is not at all what I want. I have been practicing on "junker cases" for a while. I believe I can make something nice and everything, i just doubt myself

Thanks for the reply's guys

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    LoL..and yet you want a plasma cutter...Hmmm..I'd say get a good case before you spend $900-3,000,000.00 on a cutter

It's not that good of a cutter.. It was $700 and I won't just be using this to mod cases with... haha

I also like to weld and work with metal in my OTHER spare time.

edit: crap, sorry for dbl post

Then hey, go for a steel case since you have experience and the tools!

When I can get the metal delivered to my house, I'm going to completely build a case from nothing. But until then, I'd like to start a simple "bondo/fiberglass" project to gain some experience with them. Plus my painting is pretty bad.

I think for right now, I'm going to use a old Dell XPS case that is sitting in the garage and just cut holes and mess with bondo and such. If you guys have any good ideas on some decently priced cases, let me know