Thread: A few annoyances.

Default A few annoyances.

Well, I have a few annoyances (nothing system threatening) that I need a little help on. As always, it is much appreciated.

Annoyance 1. You know how during the POST, system info, and all the buttons you can press to do various tasks comes up? Well, before I got my new mobo, I had it setup where it skipped the "F1 to Continue" operation, and I can't seem to remember what I did. Ideas? It was really nice not having to wait around for the POST to finish so my computer could finish booting.

Annoyance 2. I'm fairly apt at Linux now, with all the command line stuff. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to install themes for Gnome. Gnome has to have the _worst_ system for installing new themes that I've ever seen. The "Install Theme..." button doesn't do _anything_ as far as I'm concerned, and the limited documentation doesn't help either. I went to countless forums, theme sites, and doc sites and couldn't find anything useful.

Annoyance 3. This seems to be a Linux-only thing. In Windows, nearly all of my screen is being used to display stuff, but it seems like every distro I've tried leaves like, 1/2" of unused, black space around the display area. I thought this would be a driver thing (I don't have the ATI drivers installed yet) but when I had Ubuntu 6.10, it did the same thing _with_ the drivers.

Thanks again guys.
    RIP Bucko

Default Re: A few annoyances.

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Annoyance 1. You know how during the POST, system info, and all the buttons you can press to do various tasks comes up? Well, before I got my new mobo, I had it setup where it skipped the "F1 to Continue" operation, and I can't seem to remember what I did. Ideas? It was really nice not having to wait around for the POST to finish so my computer could finish booting.
    Do you have a Floppy Installed? Change the Boot order. If you don't have a Floppy take it off the list.

tinfoil-underwear

For Annoyance 1, check Eclecticos' suggestion, or, from memory I'm flying here: Try to un-check the 'mem test' or something in the BIOS.

You 'should' have it... but then again, life is short.

As to the linux queries, I have no idea buddy.
    You're in TBCS?
    You do realize we're following a guy that's the

VP of Regional Sales for
    Darth Harrington's Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids

I'm just sayin'...

Greco101

Whats the point of using linux? I never understood that. Sorry if it's semi off topic.

1) Look for a quick boot option in the bios.

2) Gnome themes are usually installed by dragging the theme into the theme manager window.

3) The 1/2" of black space you are talking about is something that I've only ever seen on laptops, using generic drivers for the display. Is this an LCD that you have on your computer?

Also, for both of the above response, what distro are you using?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Greco101 View Post
    Whats the point of using linux? I never understood that. Sorry if it's semi off topic.
    Linux was based on the Unix OS, which is a completely different architecture from Windows. It's free to get, easy to learn, infinitelly customizable, and since it's open source, there are always loads of new developments coming along from all over the world.

Plus, there are emulator programs that let you run most windows apps (and some games) on Linux too.

What's the point? The question should be, "why not?"

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Same reason why we mod: Because I can!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Pretty much what Luke said. Free, easy to learn, indefinitely customizable, open source, NO VIRUSES.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think I've solved 1, but I can't do anything about it. My BIOS is trying to boot a floppy drive, and I can't disable that.

I have solved 2, thanks for the help. I don't see why there is a "Install Theme..." button when you drag and drop. DUMB.

Nope, I'm on a CRT. But I haven't figured out the ATI drivers yet for FC7.

And to answer you question, it's Fedora Core 7. Very nice distro so far, only second to Ubuntu.
    RIP Bucko

what is your new mobo??? make and model??? I would check for unattended startup... as for the floppy boot, If for some reason you can't tell it to not use it, send it to the last boot option....