Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl mask and hard edges of paint.

Default Vinyl mask and hard edges of paint.

Need advice on sanding down the raised edges of paint that were created when I sprayed black over the masked sidepanel. When I pulled up the tape the
    edges were pretty thick so I know I did something wrong. Just wondering what I should do.

Anyone with advice?

Default Re: Vinyl mask and hard edges of paint.

how many coats did you use and what kind of paint? if i understand what your saying then simply putting clear coats and wet sanding then should fix it.

the yellow is a clear coat.
    the black is the black paint.
    the red is the base coat or your red colour paint.
    the grey is the sheet metal.

pretend that this is a cross section of the panel your painting. the 2 missing parts in your black coat are the parts you masked off and have now removed the tape. so your saying its to much of a difference. if you just spray some clear coat and wet sanding a couple of times i would think it would smooth out.

note this is pretty much just a guess, i tried my hand at wet sanding and painting but didn't follow through because it would have taken to long to properly do. so i never actually did it.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

That's good advice and ideas from Spawn, so +Rep there.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

What brand of clear coat do you guys recommend?
    Has to be an aerosol since I don't have a paint gun at the moment. Also needs to be oil based enamel since the paint is oil enamel and the book I've been reading says to not spray lacquer over enamel.

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1977 View Post
    What brand of clear coat do you guys recommend?
    I'm pretty sure you should try to use the same brand as the other layers of paint. That's what I've read on this site, anyway.

Well the black is rustoleum pro. gloss black oil based enamel. My dad has a can of Duplicolor Effex clear coat but I can't seem to find any info regarding it's contents. Anybody know if it's lacquer or enamel?

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

I'm not sure about the Duplicolor but I do know that duplicolor makes a lot of lacquer based paints vrs. enamels. However, for a clear coat I'd recomend Krylon Krystal Clear, its an acrylic clearcoat that will not react with your color coats. It's a great clearcoat, it seals real well and if you desire it you can get a nice, deep gloss out of it.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    I'm pretty sure you should try to use the same brand as the other layers of paint. That's what I've read on this site, anyway.
    i think thats they way to go. if you still have paint left over from spraying your side panal i would find and test the two paints on a scrap piece of metal. do your base coat of red then tape half and paint black then remove the tape and try and get the same situatuion as you have on your side panel and use the clear coat you have. if it comes out good then it should be fine on your side panel.

Quote Originally Posted by tybrenis View Post
    I'm not sure about the Duplicolor but I do know that duplicolor makes a lot of lacquer based paints vrs. enamels. However, for a clear coat I'd recomend Krylon Krystal Clear, its an acrylic clearcoat that will not react with your color coats. It's a great clearcoat, it seals real well and if you desire it you can get a nice, deep gloss out of it.
    or do that...
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Spawn is correct. I had to do that exact thing on my mouse mod. The sticker is about a 16th/inch raised off of the actual surface of the mouse. After about 7 coats of clear and some wet sanding, it came out smooth. (link in my sig if you want to see it)

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

You need to sand down those pesky edges before the clear-coat. Be careful though. This is a little tricky. The way the pros do it is by using a fine Scotch Brite pad. They usually go over every coat of a design lightly with one of those pads to keep it from getting a textured look in the end. This also keeps you from getting raised edges in the clear.

Hope this helps.