Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual pcie

ATX Mental Case

Default Dual pcie

been researching ps units, and i've come across units like the Enermax EG701AX-VE 600w that have two 6 pin pcie power connectors, as compared to others like the OCZ 520/600w Powerstream and the Antec Neopower only that have only one. Is it necessarily more efficient to have two pcie connections instead of one dedicated connection and one adapted pcie? would an adapted pcie connection effect a dual rail any different, or do you just lose two 4pin molex? thanks for any replies.

ATX Mental Case

Adaptors would not affect the preformace of a card. The one thing to be aware of would be hooking up too many devices to one adapator, 2 is usually safe. Also you can get Y-adaptors, which would make 2 PCI-E from one molox.
    As for why one PS has 6 and the other only has 1, i couldnt answer. I would assume that the PS you happend to be looking at was brand new, possibly being compared to an older device.
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."

Water Cooled

he said it has two, 6 pin connectors, not 6 if Im right. the performance of the card wont be affected if your voltages stay within the tolerable limit(+- 5-10%). I'd also make sure if the psu has enough current on the line you hook it up with possibly more devices

ATX Mental Case

ultimately, I'd like to support this configuration:

2 6800 GTs
    4 SATA HDs
    1 DVD-RW Optical
    2-3 120mm fans
    Zalman 7700 HSF

this alone without a high end cpu totals to about 480w. would the dual pcie on its own rail be more power effiecient in a rig like this?

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by ack ack
    ultimately, I'd like to support this configuration:

2 6800 GTs
    4 SATA HDs
    1 DVD-RW Optical
    2-3 120mm fans
    Zalman 7700 HSF

this alone without a high end cpu totals to about 480w. would the dual pcie on its own rail be more power effiecient in a rig like this?
    Out of curiosity, where di dyou get the figure 480W from? Just wondering since five SATA HDs are around 60W, 3 fans and HSF would be under 15W unless you want some mega noisy/powerful ones. The DVD is at the most 20-25W. That gives you a grand total of under 100W for the perpherials. You will not need 380W just to power two 6800GT.

How do I know? Well on a 240W PSU I have the following running:

A64 3400+
    6800GT OC
    SATA HDD
    18W pump
    12W fan
    15W worth of lights

And this did still permit me to OC both the CPU and the GPU.

ATX Mental Case

made my statement based on this calculator. recommended post on anandtech.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

dunno, maybe its hyped a bit.

ack ack, I would recommend the PC&C 510 PSU or something at least higher. At the minimum, go with the Antec NeoPower 480. The reasoning for this is that as you add more to your computer, you're going to draw more power. The thing is, people don't want to spend over 100 bucks or more on a PSU because they think they don't need to spend that much, but you actually do. Sure the Mobo is the guts of the PC, but the more you add on, the more power you need AND you'll want a PSU that you won't have to buy again in a year or two because you didn't plan for future expansion or new tech that may draw more power.
    You best best is to buy with the knowledge your going to use that power in the future. If you don't then no worries because you may someday but if not, at least you know that you won't run into any power constraints in the future.

Just my .02 cents...

Fresh Paint

ythe turbocool is a good choice, but it's pretty expensive.

Water Cooled

it is a good choice with a high pricetag. Neopower is also a good choice with a fairly high pricetag. I saw Sky selling one in the trading section for $70. Hell thats a very good price for that psu. If id be looking for one I wouldnt even think so don't let it go (u welcome Sky ) I have the OCZ Powerstream, a very nice psu for an affordable price. wont regret it either.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by K3LO
    ythe turbocool is a good choice, but it's pretty expensive.
    I'll prolly save a purchase like the 510 Sli for an FX dream system I build later. My current build is midrange and I was just looking into stability/scalability.

Currently, I have an 500w Ultra X-Connect which haven't gotten the greatest ratings in terms of rail stability and load performance. I must admit, I bought it cos it looked pretty, all shiny and blue, and the modular design was tempting, 'till I saw how huge the connectors were. Don't think I'll run two 6800's on it, but I think it will hold up for the time being. Replacing it with that neopower could be an option tho, that's a sweet deal.

I like the setup and efficiency of the enermax 701ax-ve overall, rumored also that it runs a bit quieter than a turbo cool. can get it at reasonable price too.