Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vista tips?

Default Re: Vista tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    Maybe you could try using the OS that you skipped: XP Pro or XP MCE! From what I hear, it's quite popular.
    I am. It's quite annoying.

whats wrong with XP, if it annoys you, why not try 98SE?

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    whats wrong with XP, if it annoys you, why not try 98SE?
    Now there was an operating system with class

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Now there was an operating system with class
    Which isn't supported or updated anymore...

C'mon, buy XP Pro or Media Center Edition.
    If you try it, you'll like it. [/Green Egg's & Ham reference]

And if you really like your uglyfull "Windows Classic Theme", you can still use that too in XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    Which isn't supported or updated anymore...

C'mon, buy XP Pro or Media Center Edition.
    If you try it, you'll like it. [/Green Egg's & Ham reference]

And if you really like your uglyfull "Windows Classic Theme", you can still use that too in XP.
    I get free windows software so it isn't a bout buying anything. I can quintiple boot this thing with win2K XP XP64 Vista & Vista64 if I want for free, oh and as many server versions as you could throw your XP disk at. XP tries to take too much control of my machine for my liking and it is ugly and slow. In any case its pretty much windows 2000 with a fancy interface and too many wizards for hogwarts pushed onto a disk. And all those tooltips and pop up warnings I dont need to know. YUCK.

I'm an old fashioned guy who likes to know not only where the screws in the box are but what programs are doing what when.

The further microsoft develop their OS's the less the user has control it seems and I dont like this trend.

I will be switching to Linux soon.

CB

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist
    I will be switching to Linux soon.
    I was just about to suggest that.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    I was just about to suggest that.
    Downloaded Ubuntu today

I tried Linux and if you think Vista or XP is confusing and frustrating, wait until you have to use the command interface of Linux, but there may be a solution, find something with a good GUI.
    But anyway, I keep a copy of Linux handy.... just it's Knoppix

Regarding tips for vista? Disable UAC and defrag your HDD. I run a dual boot with XP and Vista on my desktop. Works for me!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Ubuntu 700M downloaded in about ten minutes. I burned the ISO of ubuntu and rebooted. ubuntu loaded from the disk.

It found almost all my hardware including my wireless keyboard and mouse - whose receiver is plugged into the usb hub (on my monitor) plugged into a usb port in deskpooter.

It connected flawlessly with the dhcp server of my router and I immediately had internet access. It wasn't greased lightening trying to do stuff and not everything worked. I am sure for a proper install I am going to have to carefully research drivers and such before starting.

But compared to any version of an MS operating system since MSDOS 3 or thereabouts, for simplicity of use there is no comparison.

Tomorrow I have to decide if I shall kill Bill's win2K or winXP. One is going for ubuntu unless I do triple boot.

CrazyB

i vote tripple boot until your happy with it,

But i always have, and always will say, WIndows 98se is the best OS ever made, just a shame it dosen't support files over 4GB, otherwise i would be using it now.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!