Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zif?

Default Zif?

ok so my brothers dell has an intel cpu and i am trying to upgrade his mobo but when i look to see what socket it is all it says is ZIF. i looked it up and it means zero insertion force. so what does that mean? and can anyone lean me towards the right mobo? thanks

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Zif?

What is his PC brand and model?

ZIF

I'm going to GUESS that it is socket 478, but I need to know what his PC brand and model is. Brand being something like Dell and model being something like Dimension 4700 for example.
    Last edited by Zephik; 05-25-2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Duh, Intel CPU, can't be socket A. ><
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

You are correct about zif.

I _expect_ it is a socket 478... (I think the last socket to use ZIF) The ones with the pins on the cpu that drop into the socket, then when dropping the lever, it slides the lower pins into contact with the cpu pins and lock in place.

But yes a model number would help for sure...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

its a dell dimension 2400. Pentium 4 2.66ghz.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/del...9.html?tag=sub

It is in fact, a socket 478.

If you want, I can also recommend you a motherboard. I'll look into that now actually, I'm feeling kind of bored as it is. ^_^

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157106

I think that should work, but of course you should look it over yourself. Just in case I missed something.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

thanks a ton. hes been asking me and i said idk because it was a zif but now ill tell him. thanks again.

oh and one more question will the ram that he has in his dell work on the mobo. and that mobo looks fine because hes not planning on doing anything major.

The Dell Dimension 2400 uses 184pin ram. The motherboard I listed also uses 184pin ram. So yes, his ram will work with that motherboard. ^_^

If you have ANY other questions, feel free to ask. I'll be more than happy to help!

sweet. thanks for helping im pretty sure if i dont have any more questions but if i do ill let you know.

what kind of cooler do you guys recommend? like cpu.

cooler master or thermal take heh
    with arctic silver +5 thermal paste
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.