Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids Computer

Default Kids Computer

As some of you may know, I recently got ahold of an old Gateway computer for the kids. A 433C which was apparently a 433 Mhz Celeron with a 10Gb HDD and 128 Mb of RAM. I know, I know... but it was free...

So anyway, I was asking around in the forums for help in deciding to upgrade or gut it or whatever, and last night my daughters said, "Hey Daddy, why don't you make us one of your special computers and it can go on your cool website (TBCS) and our computer will be famous!"

So... here we go...

I didn't know I was going to be making a worklog so I don't have any before pics... deal with it.

My 11 year old asked if she could paint the front, and of course I said yes (after all it's their computer). I asked if she knew how to clean and prep it for painting and she said yes...

This is what came back in the house with her later...

it turns out her "cleaning" was spraying it down with a hose and spray painting it while wet.

Here's the front without the faceplate... her paint job was actually an improvement!

... and here's a shot of what I am dealing with on the inside.

This is the HDD mounted flush with the roof above the CD-Rom

This is the dinky power supply and mobo-mess inside

Which leads out the back to this...

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Default Re: Kids Computer

Obviously I am going to need a new motherboard and internals... I doubt they could even play Myst on a 433 Celeron...

I found this on my shelf of modding goodies.

It's an Intel E210882 Desktop Board and while it isn't great, it's the only board I have on my shelf that will fit in this case.

It's for a P4 and it actually has a processor in it, but I don't know where I got it and can't read anything on it to tell what speed it is.
    Integrated graphics and sound mean less I have to buy to get it going.

The board has a FSB of 800, it will hold 2Gb of RAM and it has a couple of PCI slots... I guess it will have to do.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

I made the 11 and 12 year old each clean and sand one side of the case before school, they will prime and paint it later today.

Kenzie's side...

Katie's side...

Robert A. Heinlein

ATX Mental Case

Ha awsm thats a nice little family project

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

sounds like you have a couple of mod daughters

its always nice to have family projects like that

yea, the FAMOUS modding kiddies!

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Moving along nicely. Is the front panel going to stay as is?
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Gotta love child labour who needs a power sander just get two kids and some sand paper. JK!

Nice one mate good to see a family project and getting your kids involved with computers at a young age is great to see. Fill it up with educational software and have them doing maths a year ahead of there current level in no time.
    Need a sig

Default Hit the first snags...

Moving along nicely. Is the front panel going to stay as is?
    I don't know. The girls can't decide if they want it to stay nice and flat for sticking barbie stickers on or if they want a blowhole fan in front... (can you guess where I am leaning?) Likewise, one wants a plexi side window (I don't know why, there's nothing special in there) and the other wants a nice flat side panel for stickers and whatnot.

Snag #1 : My kids can't prime for crap. They picked a white primer because they are thinking the case is gonna be pastel pink, but we just use rattle cans and I guess they didn't shake it well enough or something, I have blobs, dots, and orange peel and who knows what else. I guess tomorrow they will be sanding again.

Snag #2 : I gutted the inside for switching the mobo out and it turns out that there is no fancy tin snap on piece for the back of the mobo, the case actually has holes cut in the steel directly in line with all the ports and plugs on this mobo. Guess I am going to get to use my dremel...

Snag #3 : While gutting it, I took a minute to read the side label on the power supply... It was only 90 friggin watts! The good news is that I have 4 or 5 old (and not so old) power supplies laying around, everything from a big old 200 to an Antec True Power 480, but the case is actually formed with an angle that was the perfect size for the itty bitty 90... so none of my PSU's will fit... should I just chop another wedge with the dremel or what?

* Pictures tomorrow *

Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcat View Post
    Snag #1 : My kids can't prime for crap.
    Loooool. . . you better get them some masks for sanding.