Thread: N/S Bridge Coolers

Default N/S Bridge Coolers

Ok, I'm really starting to get pissed off. My computer is starting to BSOD and restart at random times, and I don't know why. My only idea (for now) is inadequate cooling. My North Bridge and South Bridge coolers are hot enough to make you recoil after touching them. So I need you help/opinions on what to buy. I have a problem though. I have a Blue Orb II. It's a monster, and right now covers half of my NBridge heatsink. So I think I'm stuck. My NBridge is the one that's really hot, and that's the tricky one. Here's what I was looking at though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835109131

I'm thinking about that one because the bend in the heatpipes. Hopefully it will bend enough to get past the fins on my Blue Orb. What do you think? Have any other suggestions?

Also, my RAM is getting pretty hot too (damn you Wisconsin summers... DAMN YOU) so I'm thinking about more RAM cooling. Possibly the Corsair Dominator fan set? Only problem with that; my Blue Orb overhangs on the first RAM slot. I read that you can position it anywhere on the RAM though, so it shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Thanks for the help guys.
    RIP Bucko

Default Re: N/S Bridge Coolers

Try spacing the RAM out that fixed one of my random reboot problems.

Make sure you have an adequate Intake fan, and Exhaust fan

IMO . . The Blue Orb will impede the installation of a Corsair Dominator.

Installing a 80mm Fan on it wouldn't hurt.

That's classified.

It would probably be a lot easier to cool down your RAM an NB if you put the Blue Orb in another PC if you can get a different processor HSF...

I suggest checking the thermal paste/pad on your NB & processor HSF

A pic would help too.

go get the Coolermast Gemin II Heatsink.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

If you can take some pictures, that would be helpful.

You could also try putting some fans in your side panel, that way they blow directing onto the motherboard. Just getting air to move can sometimes make a huge difference.

My old stock pentium 4 cooler without the very weak fan blowing on it would overheat and shut down my computer. But having that fan there blowing on the heat sink made all the difference, even though it was a low cfm fan.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

@ Eclecticos - I know it isn't a RAM problem. I took my PC out of my room, let it sit for ~ 1/2 hour to cool, and it works fine. Definitely a heat issue.

@ Redundant - I don't have a PC that needs a new HS, so taking it out would be a waste, and so would upgrading to a new CPU heatsink (or air cooling at least). If I upgrade all my cooling, I would go water cooling, but I still would need at least a temporary setup while I saved a little more.

@ Spawn - I would still need to buy a new NBridge and SBridge heatsink. My CPU is fine, and if I did end up swapping out CPU coolers, it would be with the Intel one I have.

@ Snow - I have an ass load of fans as it is; I even now have a normal house fan blowing on it with the side panel off. I think it's more of a 'my heatsucks blow completely' problem, not air movement (2 intake, 2 outtake, CPU fan, side panel house fan).

I'll try to post pics. tomorrow. I'm also going to check into a watercooling setup.\

Edit: Yeah, the kit I just configured (WC) was $251. A little more than I have now (by about $150 lol). I think I'm going to move my computer into my basement (about 20ºF cooler than my room) and continue working to a fix from there.
    RIP Bucko

yaa thats where i think i'm gonna end up with my computer too, plus theres a nice tv there for me to look at.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Alright, so here's the deal.

I moved my computer to the basement. It's a lot cooler there, and now it as loaded XP (something it couldn't do for more than 4 seconds before). I think it will run for a little longer (hopefully). I've narrowed my ideas down to 2 things.

1. Dead (or dying) mobo.
    2. Dead (or dying) RAM.

I say the first because the N/SBridges have gotten so hot I wouldn't be surprised if they did major damaged. I say the second because the RAM was warm, but now it isn't showing up in my BIOS, and I get NO beeps at all during POST (even though my computer boots). Strange, isn't it? I think that could be due to a dying mobo, so I think I might need to get a new one. My hopes are I can get my computer to stay booted long enough to do the procedure to uninstall mobo drivers so I can keep XP and swap mobos. Any last words on this before I order a mobo? Probably won't be tonight (though it could) but I'd like to know opinions as soon as possible. Thanks guys.
    RIP Bucko

Well, yesterday I bought a new mobo. eVGA 680i SLI. I've been wanting one since they first came out, and since I finally have a reason to get one, I jumped on the chance. Lets cross our fingers that it's a mobo problem.
    RIP Bucko

Case Wizard

Also cross your fingers that you don't have another mobo problem. Not sure if they fixed it, but when the A1 revisions came out, a lot of people were complaining of whining. They claimed that it wasn't from the chipset fan either. But that was months back and I'm sure EVGA fixed it.