Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Realistic Upgrades Do You Plan To Make?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default What Realistic Upgrades Do You Plan To Make?

I was just thing that in a couple years when Quad core is common, I will do a total upgrade of R2-D2. I'm thinking something like:

Quad Core Proc (probably Intel)
    4GB Ram (R2-D2 is capable of that right now, but the games I play don't justify it)
    At least 300GB HD (I actually will never be able to use that much)
    Whatever the BEST series video card is...

etc, etc. What about you?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: What Realistic Upgrades Do You Plan To Make?

Dont say you'll never fill it.. because you will!

Me, 1994: 220mb hdd? I'll never fill that!

Me, 1995: 1gb Hdd? I'll NEVER fill that!

Me, yesterday: Only 300gb? I'll have to add to that..

Realistic upgrades? I honestly dont know.. I'm waiting for the 6600 and 6800 to come down in price, then I'll upgrade Karma again.. the D820 is *nice*, but knowing that I could have so much more... it's tempting.

I'm already noticing a big shift in my priorities though.. it's not about having the fastest or biggest anymore... it's now about having the quietest, the most reliable, and the most convenient.

I'm thinking of requesting a really small laptop for next years budget.. like one of those 1lb wonders.. with the 12" screen. That's all I'd need really.. as long as its powerful enough to run my apps.. I can attach a big monitor when it's on the desk.

As for gaming, I think the current market trend of going bigger and faster is going to have to change; think of the muscle cars of the 70's. Big and powerful, fuel economy be damned. Faster is good, but if the video card draws more than the whole rest of the PC, something doesnt quite add up (IMHO). Has anyone here actually tried to figure out how much their PC costs them to run (in electricity bills)? I know I've been thinking about it lately, and I'm sure others have too.

I know there will always be a market for the "bleeding edge" consumer equipment, but I no longer feel the need to be there... I'll ride one generation behind, and spend much less. I'd rather have something cool looking and functional.. and some cash left over; I'm willing to sacrifice a few FPS.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I think Im going to see how AM3 does. Id like to upgrade my 939 system but I think I can wait. I just want to see how well the K10 and DDR3 works out before I make anymore moves.

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Most of my computers are not latest ones. My main rig is still a 2.6 Northwood (OC to 3.2) with 2Gb of ram, then I have AMD 64 3800 with 1GB of Ram and a couple of P3. They still fit my needs. I'm not gaming very much, even if movie editing need a certain speed, the Northwood is still fine. So I'd say; maybe a laptop for now (planed in 3 months) and a real new system next year... and move all my comps (the main turn into the home theater, the home theater into the kitchen comp...)

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Anodized

Me? First upgrade, new monitor. I'd like to have a flat screet lcd since they are smaller and lighter. RIght now I have a 19" CRT.
    Other than that, I'm really wanting to build a nice gaming rig, since I've never had one that was really cutting edge. Always middle of the market. Right now my rig is an amd athlon xp 1 gig processor with 1gig of ram, geforce 4 fx5600 agp with 256 mb ram, memorex dvd burner, 1 80 gb hdd and 1 40gb hdd.
    We are a single income family and we have a 1 year old son, so having a really nice computer really isn't at the top of our list.
    Well enough of that...
    I will be building 2 computers over the next few years, though. One for me and one for my wife. Mine will be geared more towards gaming, so will have SLI and some of the other goodies. No watercooling and no 1kw powersupply for me! My wife does a lot with videos and pictures, so I'll build her one that is geared towards video rendering and such. She also plays CS and CSS so hers will have to be pretty decent too.
    Before I build either one, though, I will build our cases. Yesterday I picked up a free case from a friend, and I have the plans drawn out on how I'll be building it. Hopefully pics will be up tomorrow. I still have to get a case for hers, but that will come in time.
    OK I'm writing a lot. But like I said, new monitor is going to be my next upgrade. 19" widescreen. I have my eyes on a haans g on newegg right now...

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukifer122 View Post
    Dont say you'll never fill it.. because you will!
    Not true. I have an emachine that I bought 6 years ago with a 40GB HD, 31GB of which I'm using. My R2D2 has 120GB, I'm using only 13GB of that. I cannot possibly imagine how I'll ever use the 320GB in my New Lexa either
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

this isn't so much of an upgrade but a new computer of my own.

asus striker extreme
    asus 8800GTX
    C2D E6600
    Enermax uber chakra - got it
    Enermax galaxy 850watt
    OCZ DDR2 1066 Reaper Heat-pipe HS 2gb
    Samsung SyncMaster 206BW 20" Black Widescreen LCD
    Seagate barracuda 7200.10 250gb - i have 1 right now and i might get another soon
    Logitech mx revolution - got it
    G15 - got it

as for this whole more space than you need i thought the 250gb hdd would be plently and so far it is but i only have 80gbs left

its mostly filled with pron, and games all of which i would normally leave uninstalled but since i have the room why not.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Not true. I have an emachine that I bought 6 years ago with a 40GB HD, 31GB of which I'm using. My R2D2 has 120GB, I'm using only 13GB of that. I cannot possibly imagine how I'll ever use the 320GB in my New Lexa either
    Yep, it all depends on what you use a pc for. Myself, I have a 320GB and a 200GB external and they are both reaching their capacity limits. But I put every movie I can get my hands on onto my pc. Where as my dad, who has a 40GB hard drive is only using about 12GB of that 40GB. He uses it for email and the internet, not much else.

As for realistic upgrades for myself in the future?

My very first custom built case! yay!

New motherboard... built from scratch by using the blood, sweat and tears of gnomes. ...okay, I made that last part up, but I am getting a new motherboard. lol

Hmm... well thats about it for now. I might try and get a graphics card sooner or later, but I don't really need one right now.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I"d prolly upgrade my RAM and get a SATA HDD... and maybe a new vid card, but we'll see, I may just end up building a whole new system and using this as a spare or give (sell) it to a family member or something.

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Im planning on getting a 8800GTS sometimes soon, maybe actually start my Porsche Mod case to replace my beat-to-hell NZXT LEXA.
    I also really have to get a new CPU Heatsink, cause mine is not good for OC'ing.

Thats about all, very reasonable (once I get a steady job this summer)

-Indybird