Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: GameBoy as external HDD

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: GameBoy as external HDD

hm guess your right about that. constructive criticism is the most important thing for me right now, because I don't know that much about modding. I will do some photoshop work to design a nice vent and post it here before I go on. But I'll have to buy some bigger mesh then, because the one I'm using right now won't be enough. Will look around to found some nice mesh on Saturday.

ATX Mental Case

I went to photoshop and created some patterns. Please tell me about what you think about them. Personally i like the last one most but I'm not sure about cutting it out. Will try this on spare material first. So please leave whatever comes to you mind about this.

1.:

2.:

3.:

4.:

What about a Triangle? I think that could sit quite nicely.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

ATX Mental Case

I can't fit a real triangle in there. I would be to big and overlap the buttons. This is the nearest it can be

I meant the other way around, so the hypotenuse faces top-left and the right angle points towards the corner.

-Dave

ATX Mental Case

I would look nice, but I don't see a way to fit it. One side of the old vent will be seen. Please correct me if I'm just to blind to see what you mean. I really appreciate that you care about this.

Hmm, you have a point...you could round the corner, and get it right in to the edge, but the hypotenuse will go over your original cuts unless maybe you arc it outwards-which might not look so bad.

-Dave

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Why not clean up the edges around the hole you made, then take some body filler and fill in those speaker grooves.

Quick trip the hardware store should do it. Grab some sandpaper and one of those small tubes of body filler and voila, beauty. But off course, you will have to paint the gameboy so the body filler doesn't stand out. But you should be doing that anyways imo. Even if you keep the original color, it would look really nice with a fresh coat.

Another option would be to just fill up the entire hole along with the grooves. It would be like, the speaker was never there. ^_^

Hope that helps
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

ATX Mental Case

Thanks to both of you guys. Don't have the possibility to do something tomorrow, so I will just do some planing about the triangle. I will try to round the edges and the hypotenuse to fit it and maybe make a model of it to see what it looks like. If it won't fit or I don't like it at all I will go with the filling method. Never done this before but read much about it around here. But one question: Could I fill the hole and then cut out some vents in a shape I want them or should I better not cut the filled area?

And yes I will give it a paint. Not sure about the colour yet. Maybe classic white or silver with black to fit the overall scheme at my desk. Have to think about it.

You should be able to cut the filled area no problems. Good luck dude!

-Dave