Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 802.11abcdefg

Default 802.11abcdefg

So how many of you will upgrade to the "new standard" 802.11i (or is it e) when it comes out within the next few months? There will also be an 802.11n, this is like alphabet soup here. Also let us know why or why not and if you have any technical info on the protocol that would be nice too.

The One and Only

A little bit of google fun provided this list:

• 802.11b, 11MBit 2.4GHz.
    • 802.11g, 54MBit 2.4GHz.
    • 802.11a, 54MBit 5.4GHz.
    • 802.11n, 100MBit unkown frequency, will handle longer distance compared to b an g.
    • 802.11i, the long-awaited security standard for Wi-Fi networks that replace WEP. It might also be known as WEP2.
    • 802.11e, designed for Quality of Service (QoS) for the transmission of video and voice over wireless.
    • 802.11r, handling the "fast hand-off" when a wireless client re-associates when moving from access point to access point on the same WLAN.
    • 802.11s, codifying what's needed for standardized self-healing/self-configuring mesh networks.
    • 802.11p, possible future standards for using Wi-Fi in moving vehicles.
    • 802.11t, Wi-Fi performance prediction for testing.
    Last edited by mashie; 03-24-2005 at 11:33 AM.

Ive been using B for so long, I only recently upped to G only because Verizon offered a free wireless router with their service (I havent gotten any cards since all my rigs are hard wired at the moment) But I'll be putting up a small rig on my workbench so I can surf and get distracted while Im holding power tools in my hand.

The One and Only

I use G at home connecting the ADSL router and 2 computers in the living room to a wireless to ethernet bridge in my computer room. Also my Laptop do G while the Ipod do B.

they are gonna run out of letter's pretty quick at this rate. As for the moving vehicles wireless priotocol I think it is Texas that has begun testing a system on a highway. Just what we need for drivers to see pop up ads of boobies while doing 75mph. Aren't we cracking down on a cell phone ban in the car?

Fresh Paint

A cellphone-in-car ban would be nice. It'd be great if it worked for emergency calls only... Kinda like how it is if you remove your SIM card from your phone. (Everything is locked(games, etc) but the emergency call function)
    I think this would cut down on road fatalities atleast 20%.

As for the wireless, I am using G throughout my house. I find that having a G system is great for LAN parties so that anyone can connect. It's also great to have a G-card in your laptop because you can wardrive almost any network. :BigGrin:

Quote Originally Posted by mashie
    # 802.11g, 54MBit 2.4GHz.

802.11g also operates at 108Mbit 2.4GHz. Not that you didnt know that...just saying. Please dont hurt me :Oops:
    How did you come to trade the fiddle for the drum?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    802.11g also operates at 108Mbit 2.4GHz. Not that you didnt know that...just saying. Please dont hurt me :Oops:
    no it doesnt, some manufacturers advertise a "boost" feature among their own equipment claiming 108Mbit. Catch is you need to use their special boot router and card and that is only theoretical, real world your barely getting 10% higher speeds than you would on "plain" g
    Last edited by ZeD; 03-26-2005 at 07:07 AM.

Oh...well that makes more sence.
    How did you come to trade the fiddle for the drum?

Anodized

I will be moving to a dorm next year and if I want wireless I have to provide my own router. Which would any of you recomend?