Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stencils 101 *airbrush tutorial* BF 2142 Mod

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Default Stencils 101 *airbrush tutorial* BF 2142 Mod

Stencils 101.

Stencils or masks can give you wicked effects in airbrushing. The trick that is played on the eyes is that the sharp edges of the design automatically catch the eye and define the image. Check it out.

Let's get started. I first got a clearly defined image which has well defined edges. I just grabbed an image off of Google Images. A little photoshop or any other graphics program can do this for you. Once I had the image the size I wanted it I got everything together. X-Acto knife, a couple of blades(sharp blades make all the difference in the world), some masking tape and my project surface. I'm using the panel I did for the Weathered Metal Tutorial.

Next I masked off the whole panel and then taped the dropped image to the top of the mask where I wanted it.

Next I cut out the letters. Make sure you cut the insides of the letters first, like the B's and A's.

Next I remove the letters. This is called "weeding" because it is as precarious and as just about as much fun as it sounds. Use the blade of the X-Acto knife to start an edge and go slow.

I start with a base color of white. I used Duplicolor White.

Next I start with my airbrush work. I start with some Candy Blue to make some highlights.

Now I use a easy technique to get a Stipple Effect. Just take something small and put it between the airbrush and the project. The paint builds up on the end and then flies off in small droplets.

Of course you would use two hands but I didn't have anybody to hold the camera. I think you get the idea.

Now the fun part. Removing the mask. Take it slow.

At this point I use one coat of clear. This keeps the airbrush paint from lifting. Wait for the clear to dry (around 30 min for me). Now take the letters and put them back. You did keep them I hope.

Now I made some drop shadows using some transparent black.

Now all there is left to do is remove the letters and to soften the image using the transparent black.

Then the last step bring it together with the clearcoat. I took these pictures without the flash. It gives you a much better idea of how deep the color really is. Pretty cool huh?

Some final notes:
    - There are several other ways to make big stencils like this. You can use what is called a frisket which is just one piece of material with an adhesive back. But you can see this is just as easy with masking tape.
    - When working with masks and stencils like this you make your money making good cuts and taking your time. I'm really starting to learn that really cool designs have more to do with good stencil work and patience.

Default Re: Stencils 101 *airbrush tutorial* BF 2142 Mod

woo, hurray for tutorials!, looks great as always Commando.

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Damn you're good. When I finally get off my ass and get an airbrushing kit I'm going to sit down and remorize all your tutorials and play around with scraps sheets laying around. You make it look so easy, I hate you, just playing.
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

What you ccan also do is get your stencil from a vinyl cutting place. I know the one i work at has special stencil vinyl, that lifts easier then regular vinyl. Its also kinda papery.

but then again, free is always better lol.

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

What you can also do is get your stencil from a vinyl cutting place. I know the one i work at has special stencil vinyl, that lifts easier then regular vinyl. Its also kinda papery.
    Yeah, me and Crimson were talking about that last night on Teamspeak. You can definitely get great stencils from vinyl shops. You just need to prep your artwork before you get there so they don't charge you extra. They plug it into a program and then the vinyl cutter cuts it out with wicked precision.

cooler than the other side of the pillow dfigravity's Avatar

+rep man...GREAT tutorial...I'm finally motivated enough to buy a kit and give it a shot...
    There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

You are the "Mannn" Damn that looks nice!
    I'd Rep you up for it but looks like your about maxxxed out.

Austral Alien

Great work again Commando! I always love clicking on your airbrushing links because I know it will be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticos View Post
    I'd Rep you up for it but looks like your about maxxxed out.
    He's nowhere near maxed out. Commando (and myself actually) both have another 4 green rep boxes to go before we become even close to maxed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Yeah, me and Crimson were talking about that last night on Teamspeak. You can definitely get great stencils from vinyl shops. You just need to prep your artwork before you get there so they don't charge you extra. They plug it into a program and then the vinyl cutter cuts it out with wicked precision.
    Also, if you are going to a graphics shop to get your stencil made...make sure your atwork is VECTORED or at least the ability to easily convert it to a vector. Thatll save TONS o' time.

Resident Alcoholic

Edit: whoops, I didn't realise.

H
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 05-14-2007 at 08:42 PM.