Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hp Res 3 Mega

Default Re: Hp Res 3 Mega

the thicker top plex contour will have to attach to the cdcrom door , for this a custom extension block is needed.

the block will act as the spacer between the new cdrom door and the cdrom tray itself.

The block is shaped to suit the conture of the new plex door

and a qick mock up is done to see all is goin to plan.

As seen above the new cdrom door has now been sanded with finer gritt paper and has a smooth frost look.

The spacer block is to be left clear and not frosted, holes are added to help lighten the load and to add some asthectics.

This new unit is not to be attached to the cdrom tray to become one.

Holes are drilled in the tray

matching holes are also drilled into the connecting block

Threaded using a 5/32 fine tap

the whole unit is then bolted together using hex head SS bolts.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 04:03 PM.

thanx guys yer the Storm's come and gone! time to get back to
    HP goodness.

With the cdrom in this now add as the joiner between the tray and the new plex door.

The front door will be eventually attached after painting of the case and a special "silicon strip of double sided clear plex tape " will be used to hold it in place.

The end look will be the 3 plex contours sitting spaced evenly and dual lit.

it does feel good to be modding this case again!
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Ive had plenty of time to think this next mod out!

I was gazumped!!! as what to do about an ON/OFF button for this mod....To have added a button no matter how cool or what shape i felt would spoil the look of the front facia,

I toyed for weeks about possibly going "remote"! but still wanted a "hard" option.

In the end the answer had been staring me in the face "ia" the whole time!

all i needed to do was mod one of the front light accents!

Ive had plenty of time to think this next mod out!

I was gazumped!!! as what to do about an ON/OFF button for this mod....To have added a button no matter how cool or what shape i felt would spoil the look of the front facia,

I toyed for weeks about possibly going "remote"! but still wanted a "hard" option.

In the end the answer had been staring me in the face "ia" the whole time!

all i needed to do was mod one of the front light accents!

Since the top on was the CDROM door! it would have to be the second or third (lower) light feature i would mod.

I decided the second was the one

The idea is that you will "PRESS" the while light feature and it will turn the PC on and off.

For a mod like this to work, it will have to be spring loaded , Srings?....Nps

Pend springs will have just the right amount of "spring" for the job.

The springs will have to sit flush on the front panel! so it will have to the the plex light feature that is drilled.

The hole is drilled just deep enuf to allow the spring to fully compress inside its hole.

The Unit will now need a locking device, for this ive decided to use cleat plex screws!

For screws to work i'll ned to drill a deeper smaller hole where the spring hole is now

A thread will also need to be tapped so the screw can be secured.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Matching holes will need to be drilled into the front panel.

the new unit can now be sat on for a test

now knowing that the Push action will work! it's time to connect the switch!!!

Some small clear rod is needed this will slide thru the front to a back mounted switch.

another hold is drilled, this time for a press tight fit.

A matching hole is drilled into the front panel

The extension will slide thru.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 05:16 PM.

a small enclosed type switch housing will need to be made to hole the ATX switch using some larger clear tube.

As you can its pretty simple idea, the tube is glued and the swtch will be side and glued inside of the tube.

The switch is wired and glued into position.

The end result is s working push button, that can be easily removed by undoing the 2 outer screws.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 05:18 PM.

As always thanx for the great replys guys

This motherboard cover is prolly the most "exotic" ive done yet, and was pretty much done "touch and go" the basics were to make sure it fitted over the MB and the rest was cut, bend and see. I was lucky to have got it spot-on first go! but for an "organic" look it's the best way to go about it.

All the other covers have been first done using a pre-made template, something thats thin clear and the vital parts can be traced then then cut and transfered onto the end solid cover. It makes it feel like your doing the same mod twice but is worth the effort.

For Flame'd (HP-4) i cheeted! because the actual cover was clear plex to start with , i just needed to hold it over the baord mark the vital parts and cut. The back of the clear plex can then be painted any colour thats fits i with your theme and i think this is the best way to go about it.

I use posts made of stacked brass standoffs! and always make sure theres at least 1-2 cm's clearance from the vital parts...

Water cooling takes car of heat transfer! so the vital heat parts are not as heat strained as with normal air cooled rigs. A small fan can always be added for some active northbride cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikimaru
    yo` def,

Get off WOW and do more modding!!!

kk 5 mins away from WoW to post a few teasers

The 2PAK Pearl white ! finally bit the bullet and coffed up a few hundered bux

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 05:22 PM.

hehe! no dust probs here! if you can spot a spec lemme know

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Cheers guys! ty all very much

better get this thread back on track ay!!

On the home stretch now!! with all the panels now painted and cleared this weekend should just about see this mod done!:toast:

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Thanx again guys darth vader playing violin!!...i'm already thinking Full clear Plex violin! with blue internal led lighting!!! the mini museum and gardens sounds very interesting mate! i would also like to see some pics

Now that the freshly painted panels have had a day to "set" I was eager to see how the front clear Plex Blades were going to look on the pearl!

I have to say i was tragically dissapointed! my 5star flag ship had turned into a "titanic"..... the plex blades really offered nothing... just looked like fat glowing blue sausages... while the idea was ok early in the build.... now that the panels were coated these offered no contrast against the class of the Pearl Paint.

I pretty much went to bed an unhappy camper. At about 1am (as it usually is with me) the idea came to me in the form of the good o'l Defyant mouse mats!

Remember these?

It was streight to the plex shop bright and bleery eyed @ 7am this morn for some cut to size plex goodness!!!

I was back by 8AM armed with the new FRONT and SIDE BLADES! As you can see the new blades will be a GLOSS black a 3 layer design with a clear plex middle layer thats will light with the 3 colours of the case!

The THICKER of the 2 is 2 x 8mm black strips and one 2mm middle clear the longer side blades are 4mm and 2mm clear.

First thing to do is cut what will be the new CDROM door! Using a "thingamajig" the shape of the front panel is copied to the plex.

Then over to the band saw for some cutting.

Still looking a bit bulky atm!

So it's down to the router for some intial shaping.

Now the long task of hand sanding begins! this goes thru a stack of steps! the first being a ruff sand with 100 grit dry then 400 grit.

Then it's over some 3 lots of wet rubbing! first 400 wet and dry then 800 with 1500 for fine finsihing.

Finally to bring back some of that Gloss black shine some hand compound rubbing.

Gotta throw in the old "outside shot"

The process is done 2 more times to create the middle and lower blades! one of wich will be modified to be the ATX switch
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 05:31 PM.