Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hp Res 3 Mega

Default Re: Hp Res 3 Mega

the effect is more than i'd hoped for.... and when finished should look a real treat.

here is the 3 x blue LED's with 2 LEDs also mounted in the floor and one single one lighting up the front fan box.

the HDD is lit only using the back pansl lightes!!!!

the floor will also be a main internal feature, and a groove has been cut out in the shape of the MPC350 pump wich will sit down into the plex.

This shot shows how effectivly the light travels

Now it was time to fire up the 3 10kmcd RED LEDs

you can see just how well this way of lighting works as a feature....and you can see the "bleeding " effect as the red light hits the blue!

The idea will be with a flick of a switch.....to have the internals of HPR3 look as HOT or as COOL as i want!

or

as you seen in these shots a combo of both!!!

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 03:12 PM.

nothing final yet guys..but this shows you where i'm heading using the frost tubes. this is just a test run and the final layout and tubes runs may lokk different.

the "frost box" @ the reat of the mod will be the Hub.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Defyant style frosted plex HDD light.

I decided to scratch the the top panel mod... i like the mod!! it looked sexy..but for me, the mod was just too overpowering

and overshadowed what i wanted to be the main feature of hpr3mega...

i decided to still make a feature... and thinking that i still needed a HDD signal light i'd try somthing that i thought would be sleek stylish and suit this mod better.

the top panel of HPs come apart into 2 sections, the panel that pops out has a nice round edge with a sunken middle..i decided to use this part to install the new custom
    HDD light.

first off was some crude marking

close eunf was good enuf as the new plex light could be made to fit the shape.

using some thin sheet plex and scissors cut out a template

transfer the shape onto some 10mm plex and cut it out.

putting the cut peice underneath you can see it wont sit flush!!!

some some channel edging is done to allow a section of the plex to raise up thu the hole and sit even with the top of the panel..

some heat is applied to the plex light to get the contour of the top panel...its bends three ways!!! but a few goes got it perfect.

a fit up to see all is good.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 03:17 PM.

next it was inside for some final wet rubbing for shape and a one more to get the frosted themed look to match the rest of this mod.

40 mins later and some very wrinkly finger tips the new light was created!!

Next was to try a fit up...

and of course....lights action! i was impressed , i think thiswill look very classy flashing to HDD activity and wont over power the whole mod as the original idea would.

of course! dual colours will be added!

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 03:19 PM.

MEGA RES

You all knew HPR3-MEGA was going to have a "MEGA" res! but what no one was to know was the external effect of this res was to be.

the back custom back board lighting effect was not only to provide light internally but externally as well!!

The board gives off more light then id ever expected.. and is truly an amazing effect to see in RL.. and will also provide light for the MEGA RES Feature!

First off was to finish building HPR3's Mega-Resthis is is HUGE..and it had to be @ 400mm long and 80mm accross the RES is going to be a main feature.

i opted this time for full 10mm thick tops and bottems as these would also act the the main and only anchor points for the MEGA res.

the partially built res.

Top peice and 1/2" fittings

the HEX head bolts that will secure the res to the motherboard back wall.

using a "thing-a-majig" to find dead centre of the circle, these things are great.

the innner thread on the bsb gas type fittings is 12mm spot on. an 11.5mm drill is used for the holes.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 03:20 PM.

DRilling and tapping the threads.

A good clean thread is important a perfect seal is a must.

Next is to drill and thread the top and bottem of the MEGA res

Next drill and counter sink the motherboard back panel.This will allow the HEX head bolt to sit down flush and avoid touching the MB..also looks spiffy too!

Bolting up the MEGA res for as test run! a view from inside the case....i think you can already see the light effect this is going give off!

Again the flush fitting of the HEX bolt.

a view from the outer side.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 03:22 PM.

NEXT! was to put those LED's to good use!! and i gotta say......its great to see somethings just work to plan!

the first shot was under almost full light....and still i was impressed.

Next was with one light on in the workshop

Finally lights out!!!!!!! the MEGA res looks so classy really catches the light off thr back panel.......

Next was to try the MEGA res with the "bondo'd" custom side panel......the effect is more than i'd had hoped for... thelight that comes thru is very even and intense.

Whats that i hear you say?? "but defyant! dosn't the back panel have "RED" lights as well!"

Well it sure does guys take a look see HPR3's Mega Res can not only look cool! but RED HOT as well

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.

And perhaps for the most amazing side bonus of having both RED and BLUE lights!! heres somthing i didnt see comming!

im having soooo much fun playing with this new technique.... and i may still "frost" the whole res yet!!

More soon guys.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Cool looks was the original intention ..i just thought the reses i made looked bland....later i learnt that it helps with bubbles caused thru turbulance...

spent alot of time watching the way these things work, and some of these pumps really push water hard!

All Res makers now seem to use some sort of "partitition" of feeder tubes.

Speeking of water!!!!

Now that ive decided to run a P4 sys in HPR3M, i can start sorting out the rest of internal modding.

Before i could move on tho, i need to sort out what waterblock i'll use..... i had an only DD-TDX laying around from an old AMD sys, unfortunatly..the mounting holes aren't correct....rather than bodge up an adaptor plate i decided to make a whole new top.

I call it the "The Frog TDX".

Your all know the familiar TDX block, this is the one i used awhile back and had had a custom made green persped top.

The bracket i'll use to mark the "intel" mount holes, this will also act as a guide for the general shape.

A full 12mm thick! this stuff is as stong as any bracket.

Heres the shape! "The Frog"

After a quik cut out with the Jigsaw and sone "pre drilling" its over for some dremal work.

A quick check to see all is good!

I decided that the "sharp" edge disnt have that "factor finished" look to it

So it was off the to router some some round edging.

Next was to thread tap and clean the holes up.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Off for some edge buffing!

Fit the block and its new Frog p4 top together

and finally a "Fit test" on the board

Some final photo shoot shots

I'll water test tonight, but its a cleaner solution that using an extra bracket witch always seems to look like added clutter.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 03:33 PM.