Thread: Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard

Default Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard

My old Microsoft Keyboard was starting to look old and drab, the plastic was getting rough and the keys were starting to ware off, So...

I have decided to paint my keyboard, no set theme, just on the spur moment thing,

Pic:

This is what it looks like now, well before i dismantled it.

Currently it is sitting under my desk with all the keys in plastic bags with the screws (Rem, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail)

So i do have a basic plan, sand the keyboard to prep it, then give it about 2-3 coats of primer, ensure the the base is smooth and dirt/dust free, then apply a few mist coats of a Nice base colour, then once set, ensure that it has a even colour all over, then to mist a diffrent colour ontop, maybe blending them in, so it starts colour 1 at bottom, and becomes Colour 2 at top,

I was thinking of colour 1 - red, colour 2 - Yellow

I was also going to paint WASD , Q, R and Space in colour 2.

Not a bad plan, so, To the model shop tomorrow to get some tools and paints, then to the shop to get supplies needed - Milk shakes, Pork pies and prawn crackers.

Update tomorrow hopfully if all goes to plan,

And by end of week should be finished.

I've done LOADS of mods in my time, but i've never painted anything my self, always got my mate to do it for me, also this is the first mod i have done on my own PC. So wish me luck

XcOM
    Last edited by XcOM; 11-16-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Default Re: Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard

Update <12/03/07>

OK, sofar today, i have:
    Done the laundry, painted the toilet, wallpapered the bathroom, taken the dog to the vet.

And finally stared on my keyboard, so: after taking every pracution to not damage the keyboard, i RIPPED the top cover off (Multimedia keys)

eat my snacks,

I got all my gear ready, and lined them up:

after than i used some 80grit paper to roughen the surface and remove some dents and chips, then i moved up grades until i worked to 320grit paper (Super Fine Finishing paper)

I have primed the keyboard with some COOL stuff, this stuff will prime almost anything, i use it for everything.
    anyway:

Anyway, i left this to dry for about 2 hours, the can says 30-40min, but i thought to leave it a bit longer, it can't hurt.

The paints i am using are Tamiya model paints (Acrylic) there so nice to work with.

I am using TS-8 (Itallian Red), TS-18 (Yellow)
    I have given the keyboard 3 coats of TS-8 (Red), it looks nice, it is smooth all over, with an even coat,

All you kiddies rem, to use protection with paints, they CAN KILL if not used correctly. Always work in a well ventelated area.

i am now going to while there is still some light here to give the first coat of yellow, and HOPE it blends ok.

XcOM

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Quick update,

No pics, but i have given the keyboard two coats of yellow at the top, and i've not masked it, so the over spray has created a nice blend. It looks asif it turns from red -->Orange-->Yellow

Will take some pics tomorrow, i am using my phone, so light is not good enough to take them, Also i got some Clear Pearl paint, to give it a nice finish and to protect it.
    WASD Keys tomorrow also, At this rate it should be done by tomorrow night.

XcOM

Update,

After hours of countless swaring and insulting the cat/keyboard, i finished touching up the keyboard, it was looking nice, I coated it with 3 coats of clear pearl, Then polished with generic car polish.

[Mr Migaggi] WAX ON, WAX OFF[/mr migaggi]

it took ages to polish, but i can't convay how shiny it is, the cam is not good enough to get a pic of its self, but it is that reflective, it kepy whiting out the photos,

better pic after taking ages to get it rite:

i couldn't find my pack of dowels, so i improvised, and stuck the keys to wood with BLUE TAC, Wonderful stuff,

Anyway, Primed then painted yellow, then pearled.

I did encounter a problem painting the keys,
    It kepy running, no matter what i did, so i painted the top, dry-->Side1 (lent board on side) side2, front, back.
    Tip: Always set your keys in the same layout as your keyboard, it will be alot easier to put them back on the keyboard after.
    Pearl set ok.

Hint: Pearl drys within minutes, less than a minute for that matter, its not fully dry, but touch dry, so its best to try and get an even coat first time, pearl can be a barstuard to patch, it shows sooooo easly if you miss a section.

Anyway, Pic half assembled:

I failed to plan this, but i wanted the gap inbetween the keys to be painted also, and as such some of the holes for the keys need sanding, so its only half assembled atm, i am waiting a little bit to ensure that the paint is 100% dry, it may dry and be paintable in 10-15min, i really want to make sure its dry, so at about 4pm GMT(UK) i will finish it!

Sofar, this is gone swimmingly. And yes, i think it may have been TY that i got the idea from, not sure entirly, either way, i know my keyboard will be unique, How meny people can say "Hay, I have a red and yellow keyboard!"

I think i may have to make my Logitch Trackball mouse match.

UPDATE <13/03/07>

Finished, i sanded the holes by attaching some sand paper to a drill bit and using that.

The keyboard in its natural habitat

I also painted the plastic for the LED's yellow on the inside, the LED's are green, the plastic to transfer the light is yellow, so it looks like an off yellow.

it looks sooooo sexy, i am really pleased with the result, its ALOT better than i was hoping for, it just goes to show what you can do with a old keyboard £15, Paints, paperstuff £15, Pork pies, milkshakes prawn crackers £5

all in all, it cost me about £35.

Anyway, what do you guys think? virduct, likes dislikes, things to improve?

Link To original Thread
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 05-06-2007 at 06:05 PM.