Thread: Building an overall pc for games etc.

Fresh Paint

Default Building an overall pc for games etc.

Ok I am a atholon guy, i was wondering what is the major dif between like and athlon xp 3200+ vs like the 300064 or all the 64 chips they are both 400mhz fsb, 512 L2 cache, other than the fact that one is 32bit the other 64. and those cpus, on a MB that has Nforce chipset with an Nvidia 6600gt over clocked, is it really worth the money to get the 64bit even though alot of apps still do not take full advantage of this architecture. I mean i could get XP 64bit edition, but will it make much of a performance differance overall? I know from experiance I hate the p4s with HT. they tend to have a pause when you are doing some major multitasking switching between the apps.
    Trust know one you can't realy on anyone but your self not even on God, he will not fix my ED only phizer can.

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Building an overall pc for games etc.

Oh sofar i bought this case and a GeForce 6600GT
    Trust know one you can't realy on anyone but your self not even on God, he will not fix my ED only phizer can.

ATX Mental Case

The major difference right now between xp and 64 is forward compatability. Its true that hardly any apps benefit from the 64 bit processor now but you know it's only a matter of time. If you plan to upgrade your cpu/mobo/ram again in the next couple of years then there isn't much of a need to jump on the 64 bandwagon now, but if you intend to keep this system for more than 2 years then you should give some consideration to it. Also, business programs are more likely to utilize the 64 bit than games in the near future so that is also a consideration.
    The path to the good life is directly beneath you at this exact moment

Fresh Paint

So yea i plan on building another one in like a year in half def up the ram and new video card in a few months have a gig i have orderd but in a coulple more months 2 more gigs are going to be in it so in the end it will be a

AMD Athlon 3200+ 400Mhz FSB
    3 gigs PC3200 RAM
    GeForce 6600GT overclocked
    MSI Nforce 2 Ultra with the 400FSB suppourt
    onboard LAN and sound with 5.1 logitech setup
    Cooler Master Cavaier Case

But I do have a question what size power supple should i Get should I just use the coolermaster 350 that comes with my case or should i upgrade to a bigger one, I am also going to be putting two UV cold cathodes and extra fans. Any recomendations would be much appriciated :-) Thanks for all your help.

You using gig sticks of ram or have lots of ram slots cause otherwise you may run out of slots...?
    Asking if computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim.
    Asking if people think is like asking if a pebble has a preference between Beethoven and Mozart.

temmink.org recondelta.com

why the NForce 2?Why not osmething more modern
    "Hey look, the topic!! It's getting away! Quick catch it! *running* Must *running more* get on *panting* TOP...IC!!!! *collapses* "-Temmink
    Intel Q9450 @ 3.2GHz
    Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi
    OCZ Platinum PC3-12800 1600Mhz XTC 4Gb 7-7-7-24
    2 x Powercolor HD4870 512Mb in Crossfire
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with Noctua 120mm 1300RPM Pressure Optimised Fan
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit w/ SP1

The SlackMeister

why arent you getting PCI-E and the new Athlon 64? they are much faster and in a year, u'll be able to upgrade