Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSU Question

Default PSU Question

Is it possible to use any Power Supply in a PC? I have an eMachines Computer, and so I've heard, I should replace the Power Supply as soon as possible.

Overclocked

Default Re: PSU Question

Almost. Yours should be an ATX, the only thing you'll need to check is the wattage.

And PLEASE, don't swap it for a cheap/no brand brand. Buy a Thermaltake, OCZ, Enermax, Sparkle... they are higher in price, but if they decide to die they won't take the motherboard, CPU, Ram, Hard drives with them.

Hmm.

Alright. If I was to get one, it'd probably be at one of the local stores. I'll check around to see what they have.

Oh, and also. I'll FIRST check the wattage. It's an ATX.

Overclocked

Ive heard about PSUs turning into an inferno inside a computer case, and my uncle's computer's PSU died last year, taking away with it the motherboard. All cheap brands.

Also, if a PSU is cheap enough, it may cause unstability on your computer, such as BSODs and lock-ups, because of an irregular voltage, and eventually damage something.

That is basically why we're recommending you to change PSU in your eMachines, because they are cheap. So, go for a known brand.

Just get one that's at least 450 watts, dual rail 12 volt, and comes with surge protection.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    Just get one that's at least 450 watts, dual rail 12 volt, and comes with surge protection.
    If it was in an eMachines, I doubt it was more than 250W, so you should be safe with a 300W or 350W too. My old eMachine had a 250W, and it wasn't too old. Unless you plan on upgrading the computer any time soon. If the eMachine is staying stock, then you'll be fine.

And yeah, get a name brand PSU. Ultra also makes nice PSUs, but I've only really seen them online. But just don't be cheap about it.
    RIP Bucko

Hmm, I'll go for a known brand.

And I do plan to upgrade my computer after I get a new case, etc ...

300-350 watts is what I should get?

If you plan to upgrade the system, you may as well get the highest wattage you budget allows for. Like I said, if it was staying stock it wouldn't matter because no new and more power hungry parts are going in, but if the parts are getting a face lift, you may just want to splurge and get a high powered one.
    RIP Bucko

Overclocked

Besides, the lowest stuff you can get in brands are around 400-430watts, and for a couple of bucks more you can get away with a more powerful PSU (450+watts) that you will be able to use in a future computer.

Does it matter how large the wattage I should go? If I go too high, can it burn out my computer? (I know, sort of weird question...)