Thread: Monitor Paint question

Default Monitor Paint question

Will anything bad happen if spray paint gets in the ventilation holes of a monitor? I haven't done it yet, so I decided to ask.

Default Re: Monitor Paint question

probably not if there is not netting behind the vents, but if there isnt the paint itself might do something to the hard ware

Water Cooled

I would strongly recomment against painting the monitor casing while it is still in one piece. But would also recomment against taking a monitor apart if you don't know what you are doing
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jobasha3000
    Will anything bad happen if spray paint gets in the ventilation holes of a monitor? I haven't done it yet, so I decided to ask.
    Yes good chance of killing the monitor. Remimber the tube is HIGH voltage and has no problems Killing people. That is the big reason you dont see a lot of monitor painting going on .

Overclocked

When I painted mine I used a brush... (for that reason) Just try to tape them up or something...

What 'I' would do is just take the casing off while wearing heavy duty saftey gloves... then tape up the inside of the casing, and spray it. I'm not stupid enough to poke Capicitors asking "is this the dangerous bit?"... But some people are, so i in now way encourage you to take your monitor apart.

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Xato
    What 'I' would do is just take the casing off while wearing heavy duty saftey gloves... then tape up the inside of the casing, and spray it. I'm not stupid enough to poke Capicitors asking "is this the dangerous bit?"... But some people are, so i in now way encourage you to take your monitor apart.

So your encourging someone to take apart a monitor that really doesn't know the full danagers of it. And of top of that if the monitor has ever be plugged in it has enough power to throw the poor guy through a wall. It really isn't any Capicitors that are the big danager. I would be worried that he tripped and would thing grabbing the tub was ok since the wasn't heading for a cap.

As you obviously didn't notice... i said, what 'I' would do... saying that i am fully prepared to take the risks and know how to protect myself, and have someone who knows how to properly disable live capicitors.
    As you should also notice i said, "i in now way encourage you to take your monitor apart"
    I was being serious when i said this, and not merely saying it to avoid blame if he hurt himself. There's a saying in the defence force of australia... "Mission First... Safety always"
    If you cant do a job safely, do not do it.

I have pulled a monitor apart and painted it. Crappy paint job, btw. It really isn't dangerous IF you don't touch ANY part of the tube or the grounding cables running along the tube. Basically, don't be dumb enough to touch the electronics or wires.

Your other option that everyone misses is letting the monitor discharge for a week or so in an open air area.
    Even after natural discharging, it can shock the living piss out of you, but it won't kill you.

In any case, be careful with crts. They can and will make your heart stop. Think of it the same way you do a cut 220v cord, you can touch the shielding, but if you touch the live wire, be prepared to fly or go to the hospital.

Fresh Paint

Exclamation Re: Monitor Paint question

I just opened my monitor, pulled off the plastic part with the vent holes at the back, then looked at the front part and thought i'd look it up how to take that off before I brake anything

so after some google i found this thread, I didn't touch any of the elecronics or the tube cuz i was scared of breaking something, now i find out i should've been scared of getting knocked against the wall, had no clue what so ever that even tho the monitor is unplugged it still has "power inside" you think they would put a better warning on the back lol

anyway i can remove the back part with the vent holes without any risk and paint it, don't think ill risk the front part, so how do i paint that

i was thinking about spraying the back part when it's removed, then put it back on the monitor and paint the front part, but how do you ppl do the buttons?

and has anyone sprayed the front part, or have all of you used brushes, I figure you could if you take your time to tape the screen, but you would still have the buttons issue, i tried to take off the buttons part but I think it might brake if I keep on pulling.

btw i have a Philips 109B5 19" and I dont have any casemodding experiance yet, unless you count cutting a hole for a casefan :p

oh and plz don't mind my crappy English, im Dutch

to make it a bit easier ill list the questions cuz i have another one

1. how to paint monitor buttons without letting them get "stuck"
    2. can you spraypaint the front part of a monitor or do you have to use a brush
    3. what sort of paint do you use for mettalic parts (side of a case)
    4. what sort of paint do you use for plastic parts (front of the case, monitor)

just scrolled back up, damn this reply is long