Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the Airbrush plunge.

Default Taking the Airbrush plunge.

Alright, so, I'm thinking about buying an airbrush. I went through some of the threads here, and this is what I have so far.

1. Paasche, Badger, or Iwata.
    2. Compressor with tank.

Here is the airbrush I'm thinking about. Link. From what I can tell it's a pretty good price. I clicked a link in a different thread that went to the same airbrush, but the other store was like $25 more. Meaning I'll probably buy from the site I linked (if it's a good site, has anyone dealt with them before?)

I also read that I should go to a hardware store for a compressor and tank. I think I'll go today and do that, and see what I can find. If I can't find something decent, I'll buy one from the internet.

Any other recommendations? Different brush, etc? I want something that will last a long time, something that will let me learn easily, but then let me progress to complex designs. Will the one I linked be good for both?

Thanks in advance guys.
    RIP Bucko

Default Re: Taking the Airbrush plunge.

Thats the same one I have. I paid 109.00 for mine like 5 years ago.
    I just fill my tank ever so often. Got a quick disconnect fitting for the hose.

Make sure you get thinner. . I clogged mine up the first time I used it.

Its takes some time to get used to kind of like the nozzle on a spray can and doing graffiti.

THINNER! I did the same thing -eck did. Clogged it up real, good. Although I did learn how it works when I had to take it all apart to clean it out. I have a Paasche VL. Works nice, double action, good airbrush. e carefull with you needles though, those puppies are sharp as hell. I didn't see one on the edge of my desk (on top of tape so it would roll away), I went to grap my key's and got it stuck about 3/4 of an inch in my thumb, not sure if it hit bone or not. I ripped it out so fast I barely got to see what happened, but I could feel where it went.

So the VL is the way to go? And thinner I'll need? Thanks for the info. guys, I'm going to go to Menards and Home Depot pretty soon to look for a compressor, and I think I might try to get to Michaels to look at paints/thinner to get an idea of what I need. +rep to both of you.
    RIP Bucko

depending on when you need it I wold look around for compressors on sale. I got my 3.5 gallon pancake compressor on sale for $100. Saved a few pennies. Also, look for one with a built in regulator, save a few more cents there too. Also, you don't need high grade thinner, a quart or 2 of mineral spirits will get you along way and be alot cheaper than buy specific "thinner" in the hobby section of Michaels.

Get an oilless compressor. It will reduce your required maintenance.
    Also, don't skimp on a good regulator. It will clean the compressed as well as set it at a specific PSI. Having water spray in your paint jobs can cause problems.

Can you still use the pump from an old fridge as a compressor? That used to be the cheap option, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

1. Paasche, Badger, or Iwata.
    2. Compressor with tank.
    That's basically it.

You did say you want a good airbrush that will last you a while. I started with the same airbrush your looking at. It's pretty good. It comes with different needles and nozzle tips so it's a good airbrush to learn what the different sizes do for you.

If you are willing to spend a little more, I would get an Iwata HP-CS. That's what I use now and it is awesome. I did a ton of research before I got mine. It's a great airbrush to grow into. Iwata is the king of the airbrush world if you ask me. But just my opinion.

Here's probably more info than you would like to know. But here is a great airbrush buyer's guide:

http://www.airbrushaction.com/pdfs/a...yerguide05.pdf

As compressors go, Aero is right on. Go ahead and spend 100$ and get the biggest compressor you can. I spent 120$ on a craftsman 3 gallon and it's awesome. Here's the one I have.

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/0...l=7.6&fmt=jpeg

Last thing. I personally think "airbrush" compressors are a total rip off. Just get a regular compressor with a tank and it gives you more performance than you will need and also you can use it for other stuff.

Well, I biked to Menards today, and found a compressor with a 2 gallon tank on sale for $57. I think I'll probably get that, but after reading what you guys posted, I'll check it out before I do. I think I'm going to stop back there before or after work, and depending on the specs. of it, I might buy it.

I don't have a very big budget (~$110, unless I tap into my bank account for a little extra) which is why I'll probably get that compressor and tank. I'll also probably get that airbrush. I was looking at the HP-CS, but I would only have just enough for that alone without a compressor, and I don't think that would do me much good. If it really was that much better than the Paasche VLS, I could just wait until my next paycheck and get it then, but since I won't be doing anything uber spectacular, I don't really think I need to. But again, I'm not the expert, so I'll take any advice on that.

Next question now. I went to Michaels, and I couldn't find thinner anyways. Where do I buy "mineral spirits"? Hardware store?

Lastly, Createx is good paint right? What is a reasonable price for paint? Michaels has it for $3.50 a bottle, but it's like the small bottles that are an inch and a half tall. Is that good? I have another hobby store nearby, but they're local so it would probably be even more expensive.

Thanks again for the help guys.
    RIP Bucko

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Next question now. I went to Michaels, and I couldn't find thinner anyways. Where do I buy "mineral spirits"? Hardware store?
    You can thin Createx paints with water. Just go easy on it. You shouldn't have to thin too much. Createx are great paints to start out with.

Remember I just use airbrush paints for the designs. I use spray paint for the base colors of whatever project I'm doing. This will save you a ridiculous amount of money.

Hobby stores don't usually have airbrush paint. I wouldn't use anything besides airbrush paint in my airbrush. I think we are all luck that Michaels sells createx. Because nobody else sells airbrush paint.

I order all my airbrush paint now. I use CoastAirbrush.com they have absolutely everything for a pretty good price and shipping is fast. By far the best online airbrush retailer I've found.

My opinion. Airbrush paint looks expensive but it really lasts forever. Since I use spray paint for base coats and clear coats, I just use airbrush paints for the design. You don't go through it very fast at all. I recommend buying whatever colors you need for each project and you'll be amazed how fast your stock of airbrush paint grows. This also helps with the budget.

I use AutoAir airbrush paint. It is the best value for what you get. It's like 5~8 bucks for a 4oz bottle. Which is pretty big. AutoAir is 10 times more bright and colorful than Createx. With autoair they have candies which are the real wicked colors when used correctly.

Just ask, I can continue to pint you in the right direction.