Thread: Temp. monitoring programs.

Default Temp. monitoring programs.

Ok, ok, I know it's been asked many times, and YES, I am aware of the Search button, and I know that I wrote the thread about using Google, but I need solid advice from smart people.

What is the best temp. monitoring program? What is accurate? I have SpeedFan, and Core Temp, and I don't know which one to trust. SpeedFan says one of my CPUs cores is 30ºC, and the other one is 34ºC. Then Core Temp says one is 44, and the other 47. HOLY SHNIKEYS. THAT'S ALMOST A 14 DEGREE DIFFERENCE ON BOTH. I don't know which to believe. My ambient temps couldn't be too high (22 degrees celcius) and with my overclock I raised the vcore like 0.025 volts. Not even actually. I don't really remember what it was, but it was the closest to the original vcore. So what do you use, what do I trust, and what do you recommend I do if Core Temp is actually right (God I hope not).

Also, is it worth putting AS5 on my video card? It came overclocked, and ran warm, and I overclocked it again, and now it runs hot, but I'll be buying a DX10 card when I switch to Vista (not too far in the future). Should I do it or just leave it?

Thanks guys!

BTW, I have a Blue Orb II, and 4 case fans. They've been moving around a lot lately, and my setup now is 1 intake, an exhaust about the video card to help get rid of the PCB heat, and 2 blowing onto the video card. Also, feeling the Blue Orb, it isn't hot at all. It isn't even warm. The video card could cook some food though.
    Last edited by .Maleficus.; 04-20-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Ambient temp.
    RIP Bucko

Overclocked

Default Re: Temp. monitoring programs.

i trust coretemp, def not speedfan, about the vid card, the only thing you can as5 is the cpu, everything else is lower so you'd need as5 equilvalent in tape form , uh i got a pic of my gts here lemmie find it

i dunno if you can see or not but all that white is pads, so you cant as5 that, but the gpu you can, btw is the vga hs hot or the gpu itself in readings, and what temps

edit: couldnt tell how big the pic was but now i can tell that its pretty obvious
    "Two people can keep a secret only if one is dead." Abraham Lincoln

Yeah, I knew you couldn't put it on the RAM heatsinks, but I think I might do it then.

And the board itself is hot. I have my side panel off right now, and I've been periodically touching the bottom of it, and it really is hot.
    RIP Bucko

Overclocked

yeah i have the same thing, i'd actually get a hs for like a cpu and put it just on the gpu either with srandard holdings for somethign or make your own then put ramhs's on everything else front and back

So, I know longer trust Core Temp or SpeedFan. After 30min. of heavy CS:S, I quick looked at Core Temp, and got Core 1: 45degrees, Core 2:48degrees, and then I restarted my computer. BIOS time. It fluctuated between 35 and 37 degrees. Huh.

+rep for responding though.
    RIP Bucko

Overclocked

heh well ectually ive done that too, in those 5-10 seconds, if you have above stock cooling the temp can drop 10-15 degrees, like i got mine up to high 50"s after an OC and caught the bottom end of it cooling off down to 38, heres another way to test, check the temp in bios then start up the comp, shut down all programs and rprocesses unneccesary and open coretemp, then leave it for 5 minutes then compare the average of the 2 core temps against the bios temp, if theyre within 2 degrees its accurate

I really doubt it's accurate. I've never had it go below 43 degrees Celsius and it's about 50 degrees F in my room right now. Right now after just turning on my computer, it's at 43 degrees.
    RIP Bucko