Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing

Overclocked

Default Freezing

my computer freezes for absolutly no reason... as far as I can tell. it seems that the longer my computer has gone without bieng turnes fully off the more likely to freeze. but the temps alway's around the 40-50'C range. and it's definatly not becouse of load. I'm fearing that it might be the RAM (again....) but I wanna make shure it's not anything else.

I'm running XP pro. SP2
    Pentium D 2.8 GHz
    1GB RAM (single channel)

and If you want any more info just ask.

any thought as to why my computers freezing please don't hesitate to speek up.

sometimes I feel lost... than I remember I'm not going anywhere.

Default Re: Freezing

Need more info than that... What sort of things are you usually doing when it locks up? Try to keep track of things like what you have running, whether you just tried to open a certain file... Did you do a virus scan? If you have any extra RAM or some old RAM laying around... Swap it out for a bit and give it a shot... Hmmm... Hasn't been on during any recent storms or anything??? Everything clean in there, including the PSU???
    Case: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Motherboard: Asus M2N3-SLI Deluxe
    CPU: AMD FX-62 RAM: 2x 1GB Corsair XMS2
    Video: nVidia GeForce 8800GTX Audio: SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
    HD: 1x 74GB Raptor, 2x 500GB Barracuda's in raid 0 Pysics: Asus PhysX P1 card
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 600w PSU Optical: Lite-On Dual Layer DVD RW, Sony DVD ROM/CD RW

Perhaps try bumping the voltage down on the memory through BIOS or directing more airflow to your cards to reduce heat.

Ususally freezing is a result of faulty software, mostly drivers. Too much heat causes it to shut off or restart usually. The temps you are experiencing are a little high, but not enough to worry too much about.
    My recommendation is to ensure you have the latest drivers and patches for everything, including having the latest bios for your mobo.
    If you have all that, then check your device manager to ensure there are no problems with any peripherals.

Hope this helps,

Agnat

Ive switched CPU coolers and had computers lock up simply because of the switch.
    I could here chanting from the onboard Speaker "I want the zalman, bolt on the zalman" Lol

Try Resetting your bios to factory defaults. That works for me 90% of the time.

Remember the CPU Cooler in most cases does not come heat treated.
    When I hook up a new one I always let the computer sit in the bios and monitor the temperature. . you know let the heat spread throughout.
    For a hour or so. Before stressing it. Kind of like breaking in a new car or something.

Also make sure you have an exhaust fan hooked up!

And like Agnat says.. . See if its freezing when you attempt to access a device. .as it may have conflicts.

Were not talking about that caulk PC now are we?

It just freeze or you get the blue screen of death?
    If it just reeze, I agree that it's probably a software issue. Check your registries, your drivers and recent installed programs.
    If you get the blue screen of death, it's probably heat related, do you oc?

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Overclocked

slytherock: a full freeze, no overclock (acatually an underclock, becouse I want the fan speeds down...)

-ecK: I'll try "breaking in" the heatsink, never done that before Thxs (can't do any harm) Lmao :p no it's not the caulk PC :p don't have any time for it becouse My band is trying to push out our first real album, and also my school marks arent the greatest right now..

agnat: Thxs, I've already got all the latest Drivers and updatesand I'm %100 shure it's not a heet issue.

a.Bird: already done

Daruvian: happens during anything, browsing, msn, recording, virus scans, screen saver. but I do bielieve there is some bad sectors on my storage drive, but it freezes even without that HDD in... anyway's, yeah I think I've got a 256MB ram stick kiking around somewhere.. I could use it to test it.. way to little to actually use.

Thanks evrybody for replying

sometimes I feel lost... than I remember I'm not going anywhere.

That's classified.

Have you tried using Disk Check on your HDD; if you think you have bad sectors then run that overnight. (check the box to try to fix problems too)
    If you think you have RAM problems, use Memtest86 (I think that's the program) overnight.

You say it's not a heat issue but your temps are in the 40* - 50* C range; that's pretty hot; I think processors start dieing at like 55* C.

Try switching the RAM to the other slot. Worked for me .

Also, do run MemTest86, try onboard graphics, graphics with video card, etc. Make sure NO contacts on your 775 socket are bent or broken, and do an all-out hardware inspection (clean dust, thermal paste, the works ).
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.