Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesla

Default Tesla

Not the car, for once...

Here's something I wouldn't want a computer 200 feet away from... Maybe a mile will do :p.

http://www.electricmuseum.com/exhibi...la/index.shtml
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: Tesla

Had some of those at school pretty neat. Getting someone to hold onto one. Then turning it on. They wouldn't get zapped but if they touched anyone else . These where on the lower power ones though.

Don't try this without teacher or professional supervison.
    Need a sig

I think I'll build one, and then post video.

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    I think I'll build one, and then post video.
    COOL! Just don't zap yourself, and work with ONE HAND ONLY. If you use two, then the current could pass through your heart, and that would be bad. Be careful, and have fun!

Electricity is one of the things I enjoy. I perhaps want to learn how to make my own circuits and such as well. So maybe I really will save up some money and build a tesla coil out in my yard. And when working with something liek this, I would be sure to have the highest level protection while doing anything.

Overclocked

do your homework, then go to 4hv.org. if you ask a friendly question they (mods included) will bite your head off.

i had once posted and got about a dozen responses telling me that I dont have any clue what i am doing, and that my theory would never work. I went back 6mo later and found someone actually did use my idea. (which was using inductance and reluctance in one projectile to increase efficiency.)

anywho they are very intelligent assholes to say the least. ask for advice on building a mini Tesla coil.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    do your homework, then go to 4hv.org. if you ask a friendly question they (mods included) will bite your head off.

i had once posted and got about a dozen responses telling me that I dont have any clue what i am doing, and that my theory would never work. I went back 6mo later and found someone actually did use my idea. (which was using inductance and reluctance in one projectile to increase efficiency.)

anywho they are very intelligent assholes to say the least. ask for advice on building a mini Tesla coil.
    LOL. Its Gilbert Gottfried's forum.

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    Not the car, for once...

Here's something I wouldn't want a computer 200 feet away from... Maybe a mile will do :p.

http://www.electricmuseum.com/exhibi...la/index.shtml
    i think you mean you WOULD want a computer 200 feet away from.

those things are cool and safe if you know how to use them too!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

No, he feels that 200 feet is too close for the computer to be.

Life is like an analogy...

Had some of those at school pretty neat. Getting someone to hold onto one. Then turning it on. They wouldn't get zapped but if they touched anyone else . These where on the lower power ones though.
    you might be thinking of van de graaff generators. same goal, different method of getting there.

COOL! Just don't zap yourself, and work with ONE HAND ONLY. If you use two, then the current could pass through your heart, and that would be bad. Be careful, and have fun!
    you know, at the voltages these tesla coils put out... i dont even think it would matter. above a certain threshold, even air starts conducting, which is why you see the huge sparks. it wouldnt matter how many appendages you hold on with... if its going to fry you... you're toast.

on a lighter note, these are an awesome project. ive made a couple myself. many moons ago... when i was slightly more destructive than i am now. the only thing that limits the voltages you can get out of those things is the materials. eventually, you start melting the insulation off the wires (if there is any insulation) and various parts just start vaporizing. i pushed the envelope up past... well i dont remember the exact number, but i think it was past 500kv. at that point i was having trouble with the spark gap generator disintegrating.

frequency can have some very interesting effects, providing you know what you're doing. building a tesla coil in increments and/or powers of a certain length, and then tuning the current to a similar harmonic (constructive or destructive) can be cool. it has the potential, i would think, of causing interesting magnetic interference, although i never pulled that off. i did collapse a tower though because of the coils contracting from a huge capacitor discharge i tried out... or rather... i shattered the tower because it was pretty old pvc.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it