Thread: 500W PSU With 8800GTS+E6700?

Fresh Paint

Default 500W PSU With 8800GTS+E6700?

Will it work?

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Default Re: 500W PSU With 8800GTS+E6700?

Here's a review on that product:

Kierketaard
    Tech Level: somewhat high
    Ownership: 1 month to 1 year

2/11/2007 10:26:02 AM

Pros: Very Quiet, powerful.

Cons: Not THAT powerful.

Other Thoughts: In a below review I said this powers my 8800GTS... it does, but when I OC my CPU and the GTS, it DOES NOT power them any longer. Any 7 series should be fine tho.

I'd say it depends on what exactly what you want to do. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with an 8800 on 500W; maybe 600W-750W would be better, considering the oc possibilities with the card and the cpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Here's a review on that product:

Kierketaard
    Tech Level: somewhat high
    Ownership: 1 month to 1 year

2/11/2007 10:26:02 AM

Pros: Very Quiet, powerful.

Cons: Not THAT powerful.

Other Thoughts: In a below review I said this powers my 8800GTS... it does, but when I OC my CPU and the GTS, it DOES NOT power them any longer. Any 7 series should be fine tho.

I'd say it depends on what exactly what you want to do. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with an 8800 on 500W; maybe 600W-750W would be better, considering the oc possibilities with the card and the cpu.
    I think the 7 series is a power sucker. lol.

The 8800GTS runs about 90-110 watts (depending on voltages and clocks). If the rest of your PC will run on 400 watts (need room for expansion :p) then you'll be fine. The E6700 runs at about 120 watts (I think). Then add up the motherboard, harddrives, opticals, cards, etc. and get the final answer.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

im wondering why, if you are building a computer with a C2D 6700 and 8800 gts, that you would want to go so cheap on a psu? you've got pretty high end components there, i personally wouldn't want to run crappy unstable power to them.

i think a 500 watt should be ok. but you would be pushing it as far as i know, especially with one thats cheap, with such low efficiency.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by bartvandenberg View Post
    im wondering why, if you are building a computer with a C2D 6700 and 8800 gts, that you would want to go so cheap on a psu? you've got pretty high end components there, i personally wouldn't want to run crappy unstable power to them.

i think a 500 watt should be ok. but you would be pushing it as far as i know, especially with one thats cheap, with such low efficiency.

I want it because I read it was very quiet. Its for a HTPC and I dont want that horrible fan noise trying to keep it as quiet as possible with stealth fans and quiet drives.

Quote Originally Posted by bartvandenberg View Post

Depends. If you get a good PSU (Antec or Thermaltake) with a good high amperage, you should be fine.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Case Wizard

I have an Antec Neo Power 500W PSU in my system and it is working great. It's powering a Core 2 Duo E6300 and an 8800GTS 640MB.

Here's a list of good AND quiet PSUs:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html

I would personally go with Corsair or Seasonic (which is basically the same thing). I just went with the Antec because I got it for free from one of their contests.

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    Depends. If you get a good PSU (Antec or Thermaltake) with a good high amperage, you should be fine.
    yah. thats what i meant. you'd be ok with a decent 500 watt psu like one of the ones everyone suggested, but no with an el'cheapo. There is usually a reasona psu is cheap. id personally never power my high end stuff with a low end power source. even my surge protector for my computer
    is a monster powerbar 1100 (providing "clean" power) for my computer. but thats just me.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote View Post
    I have an Antec Neo Power 500W PSU in my system and it is working great. It's powering a Core 2 Duo E6300 and an 8800GTS 640MB.

Here's a list of good AND quiet PSUs:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html

I would personally go with Corsair or Seasonic (which is basically the same thing). I just went with the Antec because I got it for free from one of their contests.
    Thanks