Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barebone Case

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Default Barebone Case

I currently don't have the cash to really start on this project. Plus I'm scheduled to take out the next 11th MEU in July so I won't have enough time to start on it since I'm busy with my Monitor Mod.

My idea is to continue with my skeleton theme like on my monitor and make a case that will compliment it. Here's the basic design I've made in SketchUp and before anyone asks I didn't make most of the pieces. I downloaded the skeleton and computer parts from the 3D warehouse.

Now let the questions start flying. Just to give you a heads up I've already figured out the whole light activated switches. You can read up on it on the Laser Switch, I posted a few weeks ago and see some pix of my ghetto setup along with a video. Enjoy
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

Default Re: Barebone Case

Crikey, that's brilliant! Great plans, looks sweet! I dunno though, there must be a way to gt some of those necessities, such as that front fan and the water pump, to be more like features of the case?

Maybe you could have a hand holding the pump, for example. The fan's a tricky one; i would replace it with 2, one in each side of the ribcage. Although there's little point in the fan even being there if the case itself is open...

The reservoir heart looks sweet, but i'm willing to bet you could get it to pump. Crimson can tell you where to get the materials to make a rubber heart, in fact a few guys about here probably could. Making it pump wouldn't be that hard; similar to the fetus in Crimson's Matrix computer.

I see a lot of potential in this mod.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

lol

That was a great pun. Nice looking case. +rep for the awesome ideas. Keep goin with it!

-kev
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Austral Alien

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Although there's little point in the fan even being there if the case itself is open...
    it does say the entire case will be enclosed with acrylic panels, so it will probably need the fans.

My best suggestion there is get clear fans so the don't stand out too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    My best suggestion there is get clear fans so the don't stand out too much.
    Clear fan that's a good idea. I wrote that down. I'll go into SketchUp in a bit and change that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    ...there must be a way to get some of those necessities, such as that front fan and the water pump, to be more like features of the case?

Maybe you could have a hand holding the pump, for example. The fan's a tricky one; I would replace it with 2, one in each side of the ribcage. Although there's little point in the fan even being there if the case itself is open...

The reservoir heart looks sweet, but I'm willing to bet you could get it to pump. Crimson can tell you where to get the materials to make a rubber heart, in fact a few guys about here probably could. Making it pump wouldn't be that hard; similar to the fetus in Crimson's Matrix computer.

I see a lot of potential in this mod.

-Dave
    Yeah the pump is a huge eye sore not sure how to change that. Oh just thought of something maybe a stomach since it's got a tube coming and going just like the pump does.

Yes the case will be enclosed in acrylic panels. Which brings up another question. I was planning on testing this out myself but maybe you guys have already done that for me. After heating a acrylic panel how flexible is it? Can it be form fitted to the rib cage?

Make the heart pump that would be cool. I didn't even think that was possible for a novice like myself. I've never done anything like that but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I also thought about having an audio circuit card hidden in the case. It would provide a beating heart sound and wire it up to some lights to make it flash with the sound of the beating heart.

I touched on it but forgot to mention that I'll be on the MEU from this July to about March on next year and will have little if any access or time to work on this project. I should however have internet access so I'll still be able to knock some ideas around and work out any kinks that there might be. So to make a long story short this project won't get off the ground until about April 2008 but keep the ideas coming. That's why I posted this so early, so all the planning and improving would be done when I'm finally ready to start on it.

After heating a acrylic panel how flexible is it? Can it be form fitted to the rib cage?
    I believe you should simply be able to heat it up and let gravity mould it for you: although Tybrenis is the guy to ask about this.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Depends on what thickness you're using and the shape. A good space heater should do the trick. Just make a mold for the acrylic (a bit bigger than the desired shape) crank up the heat, and let it sit for a while. Just be careful not to melt it or burn it
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Dude,

Your sketchup skills are still awesome. Even if you did download the parts.

ATX Mental Case

Wow awesome... +rep for that idea man, I was wondering if you were going to make a case to go along with the monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Ticien View Post
    Wow awesome... +rep for that idea man, I was wondering if you were going to make a case to go along with the monitor
    Well I got the alien mouse, I followed Crimson Sky's tutorial, that I made for my first attempt at this modding thing. So whenever I finish the monitor and case all I'll have left to do is the keyboard. I haven't really put to much thought into a keyboard since it'll be awhile before I'm done with the case.