Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 2

Default Battlefield 2

After a long week of playing the demo, I thought I'd be able to handle anything anyone had to dish out when the game hit retail stores this week. In my first round of playing the newest game on the market, I found I had met my ultimate arch nemesis: lag.

The debut of such a colossal game should grant some leeway to EAGames, after all, how can they possible anticipate the stress the game will be under when thousands of people try playing all at the same time? They should, since they stress tested it with their largest test group ever.

The newest feature of this game was the ability to track your combat progress and award you with promotions and medals as you fight your way through the various landscapes of BF2. The only way to do this though is to play on the Ranked Servers, servers which adhere to a very strict set of rules to be approved by EAGames and listed as ranked. However, due to the structure of Ranked play, each kill is confirmed by the master server, producing an overhead of latency that can bring a game to its knees. Not only are you combating M1A2 Abrams tanks or Mi28 Havoc helicopters, you're fighting the dreaded "Your connection has a problem" and subsequent "freak out" of your character as he tries to resynch with the server.

Despite the glorious three dimensional eye candy, it can't rid the frustration of not being able to fight back because you're lagged up. Lining your sights up on the perfect kill only to be interrupted caused headache upon headache. Although, the non-ranked servers, while not tracking your progress, are lag free, and play as the game should be played. Stat hungry players swallow their pride and play with only the satisfaction that their name is on the top of the stats list for one round, only to be reset and forgotten a few seconds later. Personally, I tend to be competetive, and play only on the ranked servers, since I see playing the other servers a sort of deathmatch. Even if you play 3 hours straight, the second you quit, it's as if you did nothing at all. There's no sense in accomplishment, which is why I think the ranked server lag problem should be number one priority on EA's fix list.

Despite this problem though, when the game actually does work, it's a marvel to behold. The fury and destruction of the battles are overwhelming to the senses. The realism of war, despite the arcade style gameplay, is astonishing. Watching a 2,000 pound bomb land on your unsuspecting squad, decimating them while leaving you unscathed leaves you with a feeling of guilt; if you had walked with them, you would've suffered the same fate. It's situations like these that bring the game to life and give it the personal touch, which is why the Battlefield series has been so successful, and will continue to be with such great sequels as Battlefield 2.

Default Re: Battlefield 2

I know alot of people have been complaining about the lag in bf2, But I haven't experianced it at all. There are about 5 servers that I have found, ranked btw, that give me a ping no greater than 30. I'm on 1.5 adsl in Australia and it doesn't seem to be a problem, you just have to find the right server. And make sure that you have selected LAN T1 as your connection speed, I found that if you select Cable 256 or better it is really laggy and slow.

As to the rankings, if you go to your BFHQ page then all the stats and awards you earn on ranked servers are cumulative and are collected here. You progress in rank as you earn points, unlock new weapons and stuff for your character.
    The only problem I have had with the game is with the atrocious in-game server browser which hangs all the time, as far as I can tell something to do with the servers that it failed to return a ping from, it seems to keep trying to refresh them while they are displayed on your screen... bleh.

Unfortunately this is an EA game, that means that the game is excellent but a bit buggy here and there, once the first patch comes out it will be a phenomenon. I suggest you pick it up, but only if you have fast net.
    Asking if computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim.
    Asking if people think is like asking if a pebble has a preference between Beethoven and Mozart.

temmink.org recondelta.com

i just got it. 2 Qs. how do you get the se4cond set of weapons in instant combat and is there a story mode/ campaign?
    "Hey look, the topic!! It's getting away! Quick catch it! *running* Must *running more* get on *panting* TOP...IC!!!! *collapses* "-Temmink
    Intel Q9450 @ 3.2GHz
    Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi
    OCZ Platinum PC3-12800 1600Mhz XTC 4Gb 7-7-7-24
    2 x Powercolor HD4870 512Mb in Crossfire
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with Noctua 120mm 1300RPM Pressure Optimised Fan
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit w/ SP1

Quote Originally Posted by Xbrid
    i just got it. 2 Qs. how do you get the se4cond set of weapons in instant combat and is there a story mode/ campaign?
    You get the second set of weapons by playing on Ranked servers and earning points (or playing on servers with the weapons unlocked). And there is no story mode. Battlefield games are just kill everything that moves.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog418
    Battlefield games are just kill everything that moves.
    Except your team mates, then you get kick-banned. Try accidentally shooting a blackhawk full of your team mates with a rocket launcher when you narrowly miss an enemy tank that has already taken said blackhawk down to minimal health. Not so fun :>
    Asking if computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim.
    Asking if people think is like asking if a pebble has a preference between Beethoven and Mozart.

temmink.org recondelta.com

i mean like the campaign in 1942. is there any way to get the second set without playin online?
    "Hey look, the topic!! It's getting away! Quick catch it! *running* Must *running more* get on *panting* TOP...IC!!!! *collapses* "-Temmink
    Intel Q9450 @ 3.2GHz
    Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi
    OCZ Platinum PC3-12800 1600Mhz XTC 4Gb 7-7-7-24
    2 x Powercolor HD4870 512Mb in Crossfire
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with Noctua 120mm 1300RPM Pressure Optimised Fan
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit w/ SP1

Overclocked

My friends both have this I kinna fear it. I tried bf1 and I was terrible because it is soo different then cs:s I havent had a chance to paly on my friends comps. Anyone know how hard it is to adjust from cs:s to bf2?

ATX Mental Case

Xbrid, yes there is a way of unlocking those weapons. In the game files there are .qt files. These can be read by notepad and then be changed. This allows you to unlock weapons, well that is on the demo at least. However I don't think you can do that on thae actual game. I have not tried on the actual game but I here that this comes highly recommended. Good luck.

PS: I have not had any lag to speak of so I don't know what you guys are complaining about.
    There is no other choice.

ATX Mental Case

sxenog, I myself played cs:s until I got BF2....casue BF2 is just so much more fun with being able to respawn and having 16 on 16 battles with tanks and planes and stuff. Plus there is no such thing as an AWP in BF2. It takes atleast 2 shots to kill a person witha sniper (unless you get a hs), and where you have your scope crossharis doesnt mean thats where the bullet will end up. You need to factor in gravity and distance it takes the bullet to get there and stuff.

Overclocked

Well I'm mostly curious jsut how hard is it for you to deal witht he recoil on that game?