Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer

Austral Alien

Default Re: New Computer

Do you want this thing to overheat?
    Overclocking produces more heat, which is fine with airflow. But then you block how much air the fans can flow with laundry sheets?
    Combined with no shroud on the video card, I don't see a high life expectancy for this computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Yeah, the sheets are a bad idea. What you should do is go out and get a couple air filters, just like the cheap ones for your A/C unit. See how hot it runs and then OC it...

I don't mean to sound negative in any way, and I'm sure Bucko doesn't either, but you need to be careful, PCs are sensitive, I learned that when I accidentally kicked mine and the CPU fried.

azminisk8r

lol dude i got it at 3.197 ghz right now, max temp under full load 52, idle, 36

dont worry i know i know, and fo rthe vid card i got a 120 at 80 cfm right on it, on the fins, and another blowing from the side at 70. then the stock fan. btw the vid cards OC'd too

the only reason i cant go higher OC is cuz of voltage, im already at 1.5

STILL WAITING TO GO TO HOME DEPOT

Well, as long as you don't fry anything. When you hit home depot get the air filters like I said, much more efficient and less likely to block all the air, don't get the crazy anti everything filters, just the cheapest ones that'll keep out dust, you don't need anything more or you won't have any airflow whatsoever.

Austral Alien

I am responding in a negative way because I don't want to see you fry $2000 worth of new components. There's no point me cheering you on and then watching the computer crash and burn.

Cheap foam for air filters can be found at an auto parts store too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

azminisk8r

yeah i plan to, these arent half bad though levels out the input and output

60cfm*3=180
    134cfm+50cfm=184

3 inputs 80 standard, about 60 w filters
    i 120 output silent 50 cfm 1 200 output 134 cfm

azminisk8r

yeah ineed to go to an autobody shop for bondo, really high grit sandpaper, 2000+ i only have 1500 which only satisfies you so much when lapping a hs

azminisk8r

sweet, i got ll the way up to 9124 in 3dmark06 after ocing

sorry guys but no modding today mmom was too tired to go to home depot

Seriously I think you risk killing your new computer. Listen to these guys they know what they are doing from experiance. Put your shroud back on and take out the sheets. They are not filters they block airflow: it is much easier and cheaper to clean dust from your case once a month than pry out a melted CPU and graphics card. If you can't get something you need don't rig up a temporary bad solution, wait to use your computer for a few days. You didn't have anything before you got it so you can wait a few days to use this one. It would be better to wait several days than to fry $2000 worth of equiptment.

On a more random note:
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    I accidentally kicked mine and the CPU fried.
    Don't do this but this reminds me of the old P1 I had that myself and my friends kicked a hundred times because the thing stunk and ironically the motherboard still works and the case suffered no damage (it is going to be a future mod project).
    ***Don't do that ever. It will break your new hardware. Mine was practically armored.***
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Yeah, the CPU that got fried was a Socket A, which they luckily stopped selling this year, those things suck, I'm so much happier with my Pentium D.