Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my small story

Fresh Paint

Red face my small story

hi all, welcome at my first post ^^
    my name is kevin, and i'm an extreme newcomer when it comes to (case)modding

(at the mods, if this is in the wrong thread, sorry for that, cuz i didn't know where to put it)

i have been looking at some shiny cases, and when i got at a lanparty, i had enough of it... i wanted to start modding the soul out of my case

i've been thinking a while about the theme i wanted, and after a little time, i knew it: radioactive style
    i dunno if i'm at the right adress here (since u guys are all extreme modders if i check the gallery), but i think you can help me getting started

here's the plan:
    i want a case that looks radioactive, but a lot of people already have such cutout, so there goes my originality
    but!!! when i went to a club, i noticed a huge fan which was rotating at a low speed, so that should be insterted in my case too (i'll try to make a photoshop design of what i mean)

here's a list with the things i would like:
    • cutout which is rotating slowly
    • some relief (to make it look like some toxic waste was spilled on it)
    • green & white neons
    • a keyboard & mouse in the same theme
    • the help of experienced people :-)
    • ideas? shoot

what do you guys think? wanna help me?
    this is the second forum i go to ask help of experienced people, the first one wasn't very helpfull (since they just laughed at me for my newbie-being)

thx for reading this all, and if you have comments, help or ideas, plz tell me
    grtz

Water Cooled

Default Re: my small story

if you could do a mock up drawing of what you have in mind, it might be easier to giv you a hand.

BTW, welcome to TBCS
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Fresh Paint

hehe thx

i'm drawing a quick sketch atm, but i searched a view of that toxic view i want on the case, and here it is

*edit*
    the fan rotating (don't mind the black stuff, it's just the rotating part that matters)
    should this be possible to make?
    *edit2*
    that's the side view
    i'll make a front view tomorrow

grtz

that doesnt seem to complex compared to some modders like defyant and crimson sky. The first thing to do is to draw a sketch on paper. then measure and draw where you are going to cut with like a pencil. Then measure again and start cutting. Probably the hardest part of modding is just getting out there and doing it.

ATX Mental Case

Some quick thoughts on how to accomplish your ideas:

This might be an option for your "radioactive stuff". http://www.mashie.org/casemods/asteroid2.html
    Obviously you'd have to adapt the texture a bit but I've always found this mod pretty ingenious.

For your rotating sign, I'm thinking a modified fan with a potentiometer would be a realtively easy way to go.
    The path to the good life is directly beneath you at this exact moment

We welcome all on these forums... we just ask that you do you bit in posting
    Most people on this forum are 'noobs' and have come here to learn, like myself. No one claims to be the best around, we just give praise to those who deserve.

Yeh, the industrial look is awesome, and mixed with the radio active style it could turn out really cool. If you could find a fan thats of the right size, it wont be hard to hook up... just alter the voltage to suit the speed.

You may need to custom make the fan though... which will obviously be a little more advanced.

And btw, not to try and wreck your theme or anything, but isn't the atomic symbol generally Yellow, whereas Biohazard is green? (mentioned in CCFL colours)

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Bum
    Some quick thoughts on how to accomplish your ideas:

This might be an option for your "radioactive stuff". http://www.mashie.org/casemods/asteroid2.html
    Obviously you'd have to adapt the texture a bit but I've always found this mod pretty ingenious.

For your rotating sign, I'm thinking a modified fan with a potentiometer would be a realtively easy way to go.
    wow that's exactly what i had in mind
    and what's a potentiometer? a 'device' to adjust the speed of the fan or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Xato
    And btw, not to try and wreck your theme or anything, but isn't the atomic symbol generally Yellow, whereas Biohazard is green? (mentioned in CCFL colours)
    you got a point there xD
    maybe the case in a green paint, and gold/yellow CCFL's? anyone who is familiar with using different CCFL colors?

grtz

Case Wizard

Potentionmeter is a reistor that adjusted from 0 - 100ohms (in a 0-100 pot). It is a basic design to limit vlotage to the fan so it only turns 5-6 time a minute vs the 2000rpm that it has out of the box.

ATX Mental Case

Yes...a potentiometer adjusts the amount of current in a circuit. It will allow you to change the speed of your fan. They make many kinds and generally call them fan controls.
    The path to the good life is directly beneath you at this exact moment

I was wondering what the hell you were all talking about... at least i learnt a new word =D
    Seeing as how its going to be going slow all the time, wouldn't a resistor in the circuit do just fine?