Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2gig or 4?

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: 2gig or 4?

I have not experimented with some of the newer games that _supposedly_ use as much memory as you throw at them for textures.
    someone ought to test this with Vanguard...that game eats RAM worse than Pac-Man eats dots

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

with games out now, running directx9.0c, 4 gigs aint gonna gain you anything. Possibly load times in certain programs and such. but the jump from 1 to 2 gigs will be a good bang for your buck no doubt.

now.. with that said, i know that directx 10 is gonna be a huge graphics hog. Not only Gpu wise, but.. also memory wise. If you are planning to upgrade your ram, maybe today it wont benefit you much, but.. ill guarantee you in a few months you'd thank yourself.

Are you sure thats how the page file works?

I thought it was an extra place to put information from main memory and nothing more. Does increasing your page file decrease your usable real ram?
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Windows NT 4.0: 4 GB
    Windows 2000 Professional: 4 GB
    Windows 2000 Standard Server: 4 GB
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server: 8GB
    Windows 2000 Datacenter Server: 32GB
    Windows XP Professional: 4 GB
    Windows Server 2003 Web Edition: 2 GB
    Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition: 4 GB
    Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition: 32 GB
    Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition: 64 GB
    I gotta get a rig running that! I thought servers only go up to 16GB these days... Oh well!
    Im Back Baby!
    Yeah, I just quoted Bender Bending Rodriguez, got a problem?

I thought it was an extra place to put information from main memory and nothing more. Does increasing your page file decrease your usable real ram?
    Page File should only ever be used as a buffer zone or overflow zone; although for some reason, windows seems to use it even when there's plenty of space in the RAM. I'm not certain why.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

azminisk8r

yeah thats why i usually disable it, tends to work better if you have 2g or more ram

Quote Originally Posted by CanaBalistic View Post
    Are you sure thats how the page file works?

Yes, The page file is used _mainly_ when memory is low and Windows needs to load something else. This method was borrowed from unix. In unix/linux it is called swap space, and the old convention was to make the swap space 2x the size of memory. Swap space was first used because disk space is cheaper than memory, and it was extremely rare to have more than 2 mb of memory in a server (at the time). Now swap space, just like the page file is more a carry over from the past, but is still written into the kernel (windows or linux). Back in windows 3.11 or win95, turning off the page file would result in some pretty random crash issues (even if the system was maxed out with memory).

Increasing your page file _may_ reduce usable ram, depending on how much is in your system. Windows will only see 4gb of memory _total_. If you have 3 gb of physical ram and a 2gb page file, windows will still only "see" 4gb and then only use 2gb of physical ram and the 2gb page file. I still have not experimented with turning the page file off yet.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

ive turned page file off, but, there are some instances where i got errors because certain programs needed to utilize it or something? i cant really remember, it was soo long ago, but.. i ended up having to turn it back on, with a very very small page file size. never had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by bartvandenberg View Post
    ive turned page file off, but, there are some instances where i got errors because certain programs needed to utilize it or something? i cant really remember, it was soo long ago, but.. i ended up having to turn it back on, with a very very small page file size. never had a problem since.
    What OS version are you running? When I have more than 2gb I always leave the page file on with a low size.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

It depends what frequencies the module run at. If its DDR2 800, then you probably only need about 2 GB (faster loading/unloading times). If you're using slower RAM, go all the way .

-kev
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.