Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: DaJe is going to make an acrylic subwoofer

Default Project: DaJe is going to make an acrylic subwoofer

My Dremel should be delivered by Wednesday, so I can finally start making projects around here.

I've been given a sound proof piece of acrylic

Here's my crrent subwoofer

I'll need to get a bigger bit for my drill, to make a hole like this for the speaker to go into.

I can take this tube out and use it as an air vent in the new one. Unless I can find an acrylic tube somewhere. Or I could just make a hole.

And I could either use the feet it already has, or get some acrylic ones. Maybed some lighted ones.

And here's the speaker itself.

I made some cardboard cutouts of each side of the subwoofer, to make sure I'd have enough acrylic. I removed a little bit from two of the pieces, to compensate for the thickness of the acrylic.

And of course, my cat always has to be a part of everything

I was thinking of putting some lights inside of it, perhaps some sound sensative cathodes. Though I have heard some bad things about those cold cathodes. I'm also not sure how I would hook up power to the lights either. I don't think I'd want to hook it directly into the power for the subwoofer. The subwoofer plugs into the back of one of my speakers. Though maybe it would work. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could hook up the lights?

Default Re: Project: DaJe is going to make an acrylic subwoofer

I've got the basic shape of it made in SketchUp. Next I'm going to draw it all out out paper, and use that as a template to make sure I cut all the pieces right.

I might get some blue LED acrylic feet for it. What I was thinking of doing, is having a molex conenctor inside to hook all the lights up to, and then wire it into my computer somehow. I'll work it out by the time it comes to do it.

If you're putting lights in it, are you going to 'frost' the acrylic first, or leave it completely transparent? I personally would sand it a little with some high grit sandpaper (well not too high, 600 to 800 should suffice) just to give some slight opacity. Looks better IMO.

LED feet would be cool.

The molex idea is pretty good, if you got some split loom or mesh sleeving, you could sleeve it all as one wire (speaker-in and light wire) and it wouldn't look too bad.

I hope you get the Dremel soon so this can really take off!
    RIP Bucko

Are you saying to run the wires for the lights, and the wire for the speaker, sperately but still sheathed together, and both plugging in to the speaker? I just don't want the changing current in the speaker effecting any of the lights. I'm not sure if that would happen though.

Yep, that's what I'm saying. I don't think you'd need to worry about that, but if you are really skeptical, you could just test it quick enough.
    RIP Bucko

Well, If I do go for the molex, do you know where I could buy some molex connectors? Could I just use copper wire and a molex connector to make this work?

I'd see if there is an old power supply somewhere you can hack some off from. Actually, you could (if you don't mind doing this) cut off the connector from your PSU, extend the wires using some copper wire (take the cut off molex with you when you buy the wire and buy the same thickness as the PSU wire) and sleeve it up. Shouldn't be too hard if you have either heat-shrink tubing or electrical tape to connect the extensions with the PSU and the other end with the molex connector.
    RIP Bucko

I actually do have an old power supply or two that I'm not currently using. My current power supply also has modular cabling, so if I wanted to I could take one of the unused cables and harvest it.

Now, what have you guys heard about those sound reactive cold cathodes? I've heard stories of things overheating and melting. Are they safe?

I like the idea good luck with that.

Oh and ur cat looks exactly the same as mine.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t=catSmall.jpg

CAN YOU WIN PLAYER OF THE WEEK!!!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tbcs

But how could we have the same cat

Unless...