Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutting aluminum the Easy way

Default Re: Cutting aluminum the Easy way

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    This part is misleading. Sure if you get a little on your hands, you could wash it off and go have a Pop Tart® and watch TV. Get some in the eyes, and it reacts with the salts instantly. Unless you had an eyebath station nearby and someone to lead you to it and help you flush, you would be flailing around your bathroom screaming like a banshee, unable to open your eyes against the pain. It would begin causing irreparable damage in seconds.
    True. Don't mess with this stuff and wear eye and skin protection. But it does not dissolve the salts out of your eyes; it dissolves fats and oils (hence Drano dissolving the oils in your PVC piping and properties of bases and acids). I am not in chemistry, but Honor's Physical Science with Mr. Gearren sure beats the heck out of it. I'm not even to chemistry, and I'm building hydrocarbons, mole-mole equations, and complex chemical equations.

If you get drano somewhere, pour acetic acid (vinegar) on it.

(H)C2H3O2 + Na(OH) --> NaC2H3O2 + H2O

Chemical equations sure are fun

Also, just taking a ring of some sort to trap the Drano and something to catch the product would help the chemical reaction along.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

hrmmm....my easy way of cutting aluminum...

Tin snips.

nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichbin View Post
    hrmmm....my easy way of cutting aluminum...

Tin snips.

nuff said.
    Won't cut a clean line through 1/8 inch aluminum. My tin snips barely cut plastic that thick.

Overclocked

hmmm, that reminds me of my remake of the Hindenburg. I had some mylar shipped, made a blimp, put some Al in draino inside of a 2L bottle. i left the cap off and stuck the flattened blimp over the top. I taped it off and away it went, with a fuse. it was really cool.

^it was for a digital media final project and i had the video edited into a short Hindenburg newscast. there were no people in the foreground though

oh and to the anodized Al Q: no the anodizing is a protective layer, you must react with Al. so scrape it off first.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    hmmm, that reminds me of my remake of the Hindenburg. I had some mylar shipped, made a blimp, put some Al in draino inside of a 2L bottle. i left the cap off and stuck the flattened blimp over the top. I taped it off and away it went, with a fuse. it was really cool.

^it was for a digital media final project and i had the video edited into a short Hindenburg newscast. there were no people in the foreground though

oh and to the anodized Al Q: no the anodizing is a protective layer, you must react with Al. so scrape it off first.
    Yeah, the anodized layer is so thin you should be able to rub it off.

cooler than the other side of the pillow dfigravity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy View Post
    not completely necessary, the full reaction goes like this:

Al + 3NaOH ---> Al(OH)3 + 3Na

3Na + 3H2O ---> 3NaOH + 3H2

its going to make hydrogen gas, but at the scale this is being done at... its not really a problem. i do way more dangerous stuff quite regularly in the chem lab. of course... you can solve this issue by putting an open flame near it so the gas burns off steadily instead of filling a room. thats always fun... you might have intermittent bangs happening, kind of like in shop class when the idiots are fiddling with the oxy-acetylene torches.

one thing that might get in the way of this idea is the amount of drano you need. the reaction will only happen so long until the solution is saturated with Al(OH)3, and then you need to wash it off and put some more on. this may take a while.

Sometimes you guys just plain scare the hell out of me. :p
    There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

My god. Were not talking chemistry here were talking idiotcracy.

Every heard of the Hindenburg?

We used to take wine bottles fill them with water and lye and put balloons over
    . . and you would have a hydrogen balloon. . tape some long! paper towel to the balloon, lite it and let it go.

Thank you Mr.Wizard.

Rest in Peace: June 12, 2007 ~ 89Yrs Old.
    My Childhood Hero.

But as far as using it as a tool? You'd damn better be outside.
    Chemical burns are the worst kind they never heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    This part is misleading. Sure if you get a little on your hands, you could wash it off and go have a Pop TartŪ and watch TV.
    The funniest thing ive ever read. LMAO. .

Fresh Paint

Im guessing the drano has quite a low molarity, so after a few hours if it eats through the aluminum in a spot and the drano pooled on the aluminum... drains, do you plan on sitting there for the remaining time constantly pouring drano over the remaining aluminum?
    If you do try this I recomend having a razor blade to scrape the salt/excess drano off every 10 minutes or so and starting with a new splash.
    And maybe a long book or a season of your favorite TV show to help pass the time.

Yeah. Just think of the sick acid-burn effects, though...