Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floppy?

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Default Floppy?

Just a quick question. I'm currently designing a new case mod and like most people I'm having some space issues. I would like to know if there is any real good reason to still install a floppy drive?

If this is in the wrong forum can one of the Adm move it to the correct one. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

Default Re: Floppy?

Depends I guess. I've been in a tight spot lately not having one. I've been trying to get an old computer working that can only boot from floppy, and I needed to make some sort of boot floppy for it. I don't have one for my computer, so it was tough, but I got it done. If you don't use it on a regular basis, and have a space constraint, don't bother. Otherwise, go for a floppy/card reader combo. Then, you'll actually use it, and they're only like $20 too.
    Last edited by .Maleficus.; 03-22-2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Very odd placing of the word 'useful'
    RIP Bucko

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

You could hide it in an obscure spot, like somewhere in(side) the case. I haven't used the floppy drive in my PC yet, but it's good if you have something like Acronis on floppy and not a bootable CD, for example.

There really is no need for a floppy these days. Even if you had tons of word docs on floppy, you could always hook up the floppy for a period and transfer the files to CD. Some legacy motherboards need a floppy to install certain drivers when you load up a new OS, but again that can be done on a temp basis and removed later. good luck with the mod!
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    There really is no need for a floppy these days. Even if you had tons of word docs on floppy, you could always hook up the floppy for a period and transfer the files to CD. Some legacy motherboards need a floppy to install certain drivers when you load up a new OS, but again that can be done on a temp basis and removed later. good luck with the mod!
    Yeah. I agree. The only things I could think of that floppies are useful for were Pocket Linux and Flashing your BIOS. Just thank god they still dont use the 5" floppies :p
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

If you really needed to use a floppy every once and a while you could always pick up a USB floppy, but I agree with the above, no real need to integrate a floppy into a case these days.

Progbuddy.. This may date me a bit, but before there were 5" floppies, they were 8". It just so happens that I still have several boxes of them in storage.

Guardian

1 word... External.

I still use floppies for networking. But go with external.

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Well there you have it. I'm not going to include an internal floppy drive in my design. If ever in the need for one I'll just use an external one. Thx for all the advice.
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

My main rig has not had a floppy since about 3 years ago when I set it up with the raid devices. Only needed the floppy for installing the drivers during the windows install. Installed one on the SO's computer so I could read the floppy's from my old digital camera. Now, never used...

At work I use them all the time;
    1. for installing drivers on the DELL 690 during the Windows 2003 x64 install
    2. for flashing the prom on video cards (had an order for over 100 (old) nvidia cards that had to be upgraded)
    3. Sneaker net (some companies request that their systems NEVER get connected to the network).
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Guardian

All my systems have floppy, but my newest one is going to have this baby.

Its a media card reader + a floppy drive in one. I mean If you're going to stick a media card in there, Might as well have a floppy. I go to Lan-Parties constantley and to set up a decent lan we transfer the lan data through Floppy Disks since windows only does floppies.