Thread: Duplicolor Chrome Paint

Anodized

Question Duplicolor Chrome Paint

Does anyone have any experience with Duplicolor's Chrome Paint?

I don't have a link to it off-hand, but I was in Auto-Zone yesterday and I found a can of aerosol paint near the Vinyl stuff claiming that it could add a Chrome-like finish to any surface. Has anybody used this stuff at all? I would love to make the front of my Wii look Chrome like a bumper, but I don't want to mess the whole thing up.

Anybody used this stuff before? (I may end up going back and writing down the part number so I can get a link to it.)

-EDIT-
    Found the link: click here.
    However, I also found another solution. Thanks anyway.

N2OC10H12

Default Re: Duplicolor Chrome Paint

Nothing out of a spraycan will make it shine like chrome--its just bright silver paint, and not very reflective. The best shine you can get out of a can is to first spray the surface with high gloss black paint, then after that dries apply the chrome silver. The caps they use on those spray paint cans are ACTUALLY CHROMED using an electrical dip process. its BS.

There are paints out there that are highly specialized and can create a chrome-like finish, but they are expensive and and difficult to apply without spray equipment.

SprayChrome® examples:

You can also try Bare Metal Foil, which is an adhesive backed chrome metal material. I would put a clear coat over this to protect the surface though.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 03-14-2007 at 05:18 PM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

I have had pretty good results from using Rustoleum Chrome paint. As Crimson Sky said your not going to get the "Real Chrome" look out of a spray can, but this stuff isint too shabby.

Below is an example of the paint:

That was just a quick coat over primer to check the color scheme. Its not exactly Real chrome but its not to bad for a rattle can. It would probally turn out best with the methond mentioned in the post above.

Shane

Anodized

Thanks for the tips guys. We had some leftover material from a job at work that may do the trick. It is adhesive vinyl with a chrome finish to one side. Since I'm only covering a small area, it may just do the trick.

Thanks for the heads up on the paints!

N2OC10H12

Anodized

From my experience u get what u pay for.
    The cheap paint brands are just that they look cheap.
    Look at my post of my case project ive used a medium cost chrome paint for the shroud of my main fan in the front of my case,Its looks ok but doesnt look like chrome but i have seen real good jobs done with the real expensive brands.