Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vista Freezing...

Default Re: Vista Freezing...

no no it's just that the club-sli link had a pic of a computer which looked exactly like mine except that it had dual GTX's and a Zalman CPu cooler. I can see that it's a random pic every time u visit it now so sorry about the confusion.

TY for the help tho. I'll look into it. I guess i'll leave Vista for a while seeing as more and more people are turning out to be unhappy with it...
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

Yeah, Vista's goin' down a storm...

Bet Billy boy is well chuffed.

Case Wizard

My Vista Experience:
    I was installing it Friday night. Went to take a shower as it was going to be a while. Come back and I'm greeted with a BSOD. Figures... Tried it again and it went smoothly. Faster than XP too, which is a plus. Found the drivers I needed and installed them. Fired up Company of Heroes and it crashed on me about 30 into the game. Not sure why, but I launched the game again. Another crash at about the same amount of playing time... I decided to change the security settings on it and I ran it as administrator. Now it works great. It is stupid how "Games for Windows" don't work as smoothly as I thought it would.

UAC is annoying. Keeps prompting me for everything. Includes launching Company of Heroes. Which I assumed running it as administrator would stop the prompts everytime. I wonder if Vista can just remember everything I allow. I'll have to look into it.... The only non-Windows program that doesn't ask for permission is my Logitech Settings application for my mouse.

Oh Ronyx, I have no problems so far running Vista with a SATA optical drive and a Western Digital 250GB SATAII hard drive. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones? Could it be the chipset's fault? The 680i chipset is known for causing problems with SATA drives.

I'm not sure how to help you since I couldn't duplicate the problem. The biggest difference I see is that you did an upgrade and I did a clean install. But I don't know if that is one of the causes or not, which it shouldn't be. I also didn't let Vista look for updates while it was installing.

By the way, I found this nice little Vista guide. I don't know if it will help, but I thought it was good. You should give it a look.
    http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Thought I would add my 2 cents here I am running a dual boot with xp pro and vista ultimate and on sata II drives and no problems at all. The only issue I have with vista is that creative has not released full software for the xfi cards and so had to hunt down some.
    my 3D animatin rig,Thermaltake tai chi case, asus P5Wdh, pD 940 3.2,PSU enermax sli 600W& FSP 300w,4 gig's samsung ddr2 ati x1900xtx and x1900 master,sound blaster elite pro ,x4 250 gig HD from samsung (x2) x16 DvD Win TV 250 PVR capture card, 37"full HD LG lcd. Cooling Koolance PC4 1000 x3 120 mm fans on the external rad,thermaltake volcano 4005 cpu waterblock, koolance water blocks HD's Chipset's,Ram tidewater plus for the GPU's.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Ronyx View Post
    I think it's exactly that. Everyone who posts has SATAII HDD's. One particular post got me looking at the type of HDD's people have when they experiences these lags / freezes and that was a guy saying that vista absolutely HATES SATAII. I don't know why that is but after hours of searching for solutions i've given up... Looking at the benchmarks between Vista and Windows XP, the actual performance is worse in Vista then it is in XP.

I personally am going to rollback to Windows. When i decided to do that it took me another hour to find how to do that lolz but finally here's a link to those who are thinking of rolling back.
    Roll Back Process
    That involves command prompts and is not for beginners... Don't try it unless you're a more experienced user.

I have a WD 320gig SATAII 7200.10 HDD so i would personally suggest you to NOT install Vista until there is a service pack out. In fact anyone who wants to upgrade to Vista... don't. So far i am yet to find one positive comment about the new OS. Everything is either buggy this or buggy that, this won't install, that won't run, this freezes, that lags, this is slower and that is annoying... Vista is not worth it yet, Microsoft have a long 6 months ahead of them. I've decided that i'm going to hop back on the Vista train as soon as Microsoft releases SP1. I mean cmon, if my computer can't run Vista, then what can???

EDIT: Those of you who have IDE drives, that still doesn't mean that Vista is right for you lolz. Find some benchmarks between Windows XP and Vista and see the difference for yourselves. Some games were losing 10-20 FPS on Vista...

install the xp trial to roll it back then update too the full version .. hehehe

I keep going back and forth from XP x64 to Vista. None of my design programs work on vista. . games work, not to mention the lack of vista driver support for any of my motherboards. .well atleast the sound works on the Asus. Havent checked the ECS website yet Im afraid to.

I emailed the guys at Scorptec and they're being very supportive with this. They offered me a sort of "check up" for my computer. I can bring it in and they can check it out and see if they can fix anything. The problem is that I've rolled back from Vista and even if they find the problems and fix them, I'm not so sure i want to go back to Vista. Software support is picking up but not where i would like it to be.

I've decided that i'm going to wait for SP1 (maybe a month or two?) and then get a new HDD to install Vista on. I'll get the tech guys to install it on my comp. That way they can test it and reassure me that there's nothing wrong THIS time.

I hope no one else experiences this problem with Vista, although that's a bit of a longshot lolz.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

Overclocked

there is a way in the parental and user account settings to turn off uac