Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AM2 or 939

Overclocked

Default AM2 or 939

hey, I'm looking into building a new computer, going dual core. but price is also a factor as well as preformace, the socket 939 is cheeper (by a concidrable amount) but only has a max of 400Mhz for ram speed, but the AM2 can handle 800Mhz. is there a considrable speed diffrence between the 2? (ither way there going to be overclocked)

thanks

p.s, I wasn't shure If I should have posted this in the CPU section or motherboar, seeing that it involves both a bit...)

EDIT: oh yeah, you guy's like it when we post the things were looking at well This is what I'm looking at for the AM2

and This is what I'm looking at for the 939

sometimes I feel lost... than I remember I'm not going anywhere.

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Default Re: AM2 or 939

Go AM2; I did. I bought the 64 X2 3800+ and an MSI K9A Platinum mobo. Or you could grab the K9A Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

ATX Mental Case

Even though 939 is cheaper and has a more mature line of overclockable mobos, I would go with the AM2 socket. The AM2 CPU tends runs cooler and has lower power consumption which makes for a cool, quiet, and stable system. In terms of overclockability, AM2 isn't the greatest to my knowledge, with limited performance increases over a 939 system. Though, the nvidia 570, 590, and the new AMD 690G chipsets are supposed to be promising. I would try to dig up a decent review of that VIA chipset mobo your looking at to check its stability and BIOS performance before you commit to a purchase and start to OC the board.

Not sure of your budget or commitment to AMD, but a good overclocker combo currently is said to be the C2D E4300 and an ASUS P5B-E Deluxe, based on the Intel P965 chipset. Some other alternatives lie in Nvidia's 650i/680i chipsets also.

Overclocked

thanks, I'm hoping to stay under the $100 CAN (total prodject I'm hoping to stay under a 1K) the reason I'm looking at AMD is cuz they seem to be cheeper, but I am keeping my eye's open for some cheep Intells..

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Black View Post
    the reason I'm looking at AMD is cuz they seem to be cheeper, but I am keeping my eye's open for some cheep Intells..
    If you get a socket 775 Pentium D (or Celeron D if you want really cheap) you can keep the costs low and be able to upgrade to Core 2 Duo, which also uses socket 775, when you have the cash.

EDIT: Whichever you pick, make sure the motherboard can use DDR2 RAM as that is faster than DDR

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Black View Post
    the socket 939 is cheeper (by a concidrable amount) but only has a max of 400Mhz for ram speed, but the AM2 can handle 800Mhz. is there a considrable speed diffrence between the 2? (ither way there going to be overclocked)
    800mhz modules vs 400mhz modules. The performance gain is 100%. Its twice as fast. I'd recomend you get the 800mhz modules.

Thies are the modules i plan on getting. They have the lowest latencies at a respectable price.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231114
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 4-4-3-5 $209.99

Go for an AM2 or C2D mobo. There's no sence in buying an obsoleet system.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    If you get a socket 775 Pentium D (or Celeron D if you want really cheap) you can keep the costs low and be able to upgrade to Core 2 Duo, which also uses socket 775, when you have the cash.

EDIT: Whichever you pick, make sure the motherboard can use DDR2 RAM as that is faster than DDR
    Nice, thanks.. now lets see, these processors, like most intells have 4MB case, but thease one's only run at 800Mz but the AMD's only have 1 or 2MB cash but have 1000Mhz...

Quote Originally Posted by CanaBalistic
    800mhz modules vs 400mhz modules. The performance gain is 100%. Its twice as fast. I'd recomend you get the 800mhz modules.

Thies are the modules i plan on getting. They have the lowest latencies at a respectable price.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231114
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 4-4-3-5 $209.99

Go for an AM2 or C2D mobo. There's no sence in buying an obsoleet system.
    Hmm. I'm not shure that 400Mhz to 800Mhz actually double's the speed, I believe I read somewhere that there's other factors that slow the 800Mhz one down, so it's more like 80% faster or something... but oh well, I see your point on just forking out the extra dough and get the top stuff. but I'm not a hard core gamer, My main concern is Cubase SX running smoothly with alot of plugins running at the same time, and short rendering times. so I think most dual core systems will forfill my needs,

Thanks for all the responses!

Edit: sorry CanaBalistic "you must spread some rep around before giving 2 this user again"

"you must spread some rep around before giving 2 this user again"

Am i supposed to give you rep when it is I who is giving advice? Im not sure what you mean by that. Please explain...

For the record, when the rep system was introduced. I stated that i wouldnt give "rep points" unless it was truly earned and that i would rather not recieve "rep point" unless i truly deserved it.

I see no reason to distribute rep points in this thread.

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by CanaBalistic View Post
    "you must spread some rep around before giving 2 this user again"

I see no reason to distribute rep points in this thread.
    I think he meant that he couldn't give you any more +rep because he gave it to you recently...

EDIT: Nick, the C2D 6300 has a 1066fsb and is reasonably priced.

Oh... Now it all makes sence... I had thought he was saying that to me. Which wouldnt make any sence. Thanks for clearing that up redundant.