Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade, but is it good ?

Overclocked

Default Re: Upgrade, but is it good ?

Besides, Ive heard of benchmarks of games under Vista and XP, and XP was winning by a few FPS on the same system. My guess is that we wait fora couple of months until the drivers comes out and Vista fills the holes they have.

Woot, just passed the 300 posts

Just a simple question so i don't have to make a new tread !

With this http://www.thermaltake.com/product/L...6/cl-w0076.asp
    H2O Cooling system it makes 19 - 30 Db .. can I swithc the fans to more silent fans ? and do the radiators make noise ?

Case Wizard

Yes you can switch the fans and no radiators do not make noise. But before switching fans, you want to see how many fins per square inch there are. Because if it is packed, you want a fan that is rated with decent air pressure. If not, then a silent fan with low air pressure will do.

How quiet do you want it anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote View Post
    Yes you can switch the fans and no radiators do not make noise. But before switching fans, you want to see how many fins per square inch there are. Because if it is packed, you want a fan that is rated with decent air pressure. If not, then a silent fan with low air pressure will do.

How quiet do you want it anyways?
    Let's say 17 - 21 Db ..

The Aerocool 120mm "Turbine 3000" presses 63.6 m³/t and makes 19.7 dB(A) that sound's good or what ? And yes it got 16 fan blades =D

Her is a link !
    http://www.aerocool.us/p-accessory/t...bine%20fan.htm

The thin is that I want to lower the Db on my pc .. but the H2o cooling has fans to so .. ?

Case Wizard

It depends on how you got your water cooling set up.

Lets say you use that Thermaltake Big Water and you use it externally like the pics Thermaltake has. You are just going to be adding more fans to you system.
    But, if you mount it internally on existing fans in your case (this can also be on the outside too), you would have at least one less fan, which is the CPU fan. You could take more fans away if your chipset has its own fan and if you water cool the GPU. Water cooling is more efficient than air cooling, so you can sacrifice high CFM fans for lower CFM fans (which means lower dBA fans).

You know, you could achieve lower noise without going water cooling. But it all depends on your needs. There are heatsinks that can be paired up with a very low noise/low CFM fan and still be able to cool the CPU well enough. But you most likely won't have a lot of overclocking headroom. But this is a lot less expensive. I recommend the Thermalright Ultra-120 (use it passively or with a fan of your choice). I know they are coming out with an updated one that adds 2 more heatpipes to it if you can wait, but I'm not sure exactly when they will release it.
    You could try adding sound dampening material inside your PC. Though I have never tried it before so I don't know how well it works.
    Another easy solution is to switch out all your fans for silent ones. Some of the best ones are the Nexus, Noctua, and Scythe S-Flex.

By the way, what PC case will you be using?

But you most likely won't have a lot of overclocking headroom.
    Like I said i one of my first posts I am going to overclock my CPU a little bit And I might buy a Intel e6300 instead of the e6400. That means more clocking to.
    By the way, what PC case will you be using?
    Right now I have a Chieftech Miditower ( looks similar to Dragon ) but if I get any money I will buy my self a Cooler Master Mystique 631.

I read about a guy from Norway that overclocked a Intel e6300 from 1866MHz to 3150Mhz with BigWater cooling =D

I read about a guy from Norway that overclocked a Intel e6300 from 1866MHz to 3150Mhz with BigWater cooling =D
    That's nothing. I've seen an AMD Opteron overclocked from 1800 mHz to 3500mHz. I pushed mine up to 2000mHz just by ****ing around with it. It's considered one of the most overlockable chips ever made. Oh, and my temperatures? Never seen them go above 35 degrees, avarages at 29. Yes, that's CPU, not case.

Why am i telling you this seeminly irrelevant information? Because i like the Opteron! :p

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    That's nothing. I've seen an AMD Opteron overclocked from 1800 mHz to 3500mHz. I pushed mine up to 2000mHz just by ****ing around with it. It's considered one of the most overlockable chips ever made. Oh, and my temperatures? Never seen them go above 35 degrees, avarages at 29. Yes, that's CPU, not case.

Why am i telling you this seeminly irrelevant information? Because i like the Opteron! :p

-Dave
    Do you know if the mainboard I want is good for overclocking CPU ?