Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Upgrade, but is it good ?

Case Wizard

Default Re: Upgrade, but is it good ?

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFox View Post
    I read about a guy from Norway that overclocked a Intel e6300 from 1866MHz to 3150Mhz with BigWater cooling =D
    You can hit that overclock with the stock cooler. So saying the Big Water can hit that is not saying much. Only difference would be the noise and temps. But you can change that by getting an aftermarket air cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote View Post
    You can hit that overclock with the stock cooler. So saying the Big Water can hit that is not saying much. Only difference would be the noise and temps. But you can change that by getting an aftermarket air cooler.
    I've heard so much complains about the Intel e6300 stock cooler being awfully bad and that an upgrade to another cooler would be the second thing you do after buying it ! ( and this is at stock speed )

It was not the colling I was aiming for, it was the overclocking friendly processor I was so amazed about

But if I overclock my processor to around 2,8GHz or something like that, can the motherboard take that ? Or will it break ?

( I do not understand what you mean with "aftermarket air cooler" )

Case Wizard

I meant it as a 3rd party air cooler (heatsink and fan). An air cooler you buy made by another company.

Well, the Core 2 Duo's are so much cooler compared to the Prescotts that the you can actually overclock with the stock Intel heatsink. Of course, there are a lot of better coolers out there, way better.

I'm not sure about the motherboard itself. But I know that the chipset on the motherboard, the Nvidia 650i, is a good chipset and is good at overclocking. But the rest is up to Abit and their BIOS. For example: the max voltage you can set, how small the increments they are, stability, north/south bridge cooling, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote View Post
    I meant it as a 3rd party air cooler (heatsink and fan). An air cooler you buy made by another company.

Well, the Core 2 Duo's are so much cooler compared to the Prescotts that the you can actually overclock with the stock Intel heatsink. Of course, there are a lot of better coolers out there, way better.

I'm not sure about the motherboard itself. But I know that the chipset on the motherboard, the Nvidia 650i, is a good chipset and is good at overclocking. But the rest is up to Abit and their BIOS. For example: the max voltage you can set, how small the increments they are, stability, north/south bridge cooling, etc.
    Oh ! I have some friends that can help me with overclocking my CPU doh !

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    I don't mean to jump in, but I wanted to answer this if I may:

Your processor's overclock is done essentially by increasing the multiplier's to the current voltage, or by increasing the voltage and then adjusting the multiplier for that. The higher you can set your voltage/multiplier, the bigger your overclock will be. The motherboard is going to send whatever voltage to that spot as it is asked to. The only thing that is going to "break" the motherboard or anything else in these processes is heat. You can get North and Soutbridge controller heat sinks or other cooling options. As for sound, the bigger the fan, the quieter it can spin (right?), although I'm not 100% sure on that. I know that my case came with built in watercooling, and at load my CPU is at..... 39degrees (C) at the stock 3.0ghz setting, and my mobo is 30degrees (c) all fans spinning on high (2x120mm, 2x80mm, PSU fan). My noise is ~50dB like this, but there is a constant "beep" every half second from the output display letting me know the waterpump is working. It is like 10dB worth of the noise. I have the option of buying waterblocks if I want to cool my north and soutbridge chipsets as well. I only have a 450w power supply, so as soon as I try to overclock to anything past 3.2, it gets maxxed.. but it will run at 3.2ghz at around 42degrees(c). that is my sockt478 P4 (prescott?) (the hot ones :/ )
    Can you tell me if the motherboard is good for overclocking ?

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    I don't mean to jump in, but I wanted to answer this if I may:

Your processor's overclock is done essentially by increasing the multiplier's to the current voltage, or by increasing the voltage and then adjusting the multiplier for that. The higher you can set your voltage/multiplier, the bigger your overclock will be. The motherboard is going to send whatever voltage to that spot as it is asked to. The only thing that is going to "break" the motherboard or anything else in these processes is heat. You can get North and Soutbridge controller heat sinks or other cooling options. As for sound, the bigger the fan, the quieter it can spin (right?), although I'm not 100% sure on that. I know that my case came with built in watercooling, and at load my CPU is at..... 39degrees (C) at the stock 3.0ghz setting, and my mobo is 30degrees (c) all fans spinning on high (2x120mm, 2x80mm, PSU fan). My noise is ~50dB like this, but there is a constant "beep" every half second from the output display letting me know the waterpump is working. It is like 10dB worth of the noise. I have the option of buying waterblocks if I want to cool my north and soutbridge chipsets as well. I only have a 450w power supply, so as soon as I try to overclock to anything past 3.2, it gets maxxed.. but it will run at 3.2ghz at around 42degrees(c). that is my sockt478 P4 (prescott?) (the hot ones :/ )
    Aren't you missing the FSB part about overclocking. After all, that is part of the equation. FSB x Multiplier = Speed. I'd say it is a bit more important because most CPU's have a locked multiplier.

Yes, you are right about bigger fans. Bigger they are, they quiter they are compared to their smaller counterparts. When airflow is equal, the bigger fan will be quieter. But in your case, since your fans are running at 100%, it may actually be louder because it is pushing more air. Even if the motor is silent, you will be able to hear the massive amount of air being pushed.