Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitor MOD

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Monitor MOD

LMAO that was a getting ready to leave for work at 5AM idea.
    Too bad it stunk!

In my mind it looked ok but that was at 5AM I see now what look your going for perhaps you can use another grill with 2 of the brackets cut off and all the center cut out then mount the skull grill with all the brackets cut off on to the center of that grill.

Charles

This is fast turning into those must-see worklogs that every modder knows about. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one develop!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

I don't have a problem mounting the bracket to the speaker. I can just file a little on the top and bottom of the grill and then sandwich it between the the speaker bracket and the skull thumbscrew. I wouldn't even need to really clean that portion up since it'll be covered up by the thumbscrew. I just need to find a way to file down the posts on the grill and do as little damage to the chrome finish.
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehonkey View Post
    ...white trash....

Hehe Basura Blanco...

Great work on this Space Honkey! Been a while since I gave you some rep, but you deserve it for this one.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I'd need to get a length of alum rod I'm guessing at least 3/4". I would also need to get myself some milling bits--slot cutter and end cutters. Very simple tongue & groove design would work best...ball sockets would not have the friction to hold the weight
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

I haven't posted in here yet although I have been folowing it. +rep for all the great work you do.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***
    ------------------------------------------------------------BROWN NOSING ABOUT TO COMMENCE------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------Small children divert your eyes----------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to take this opportunity to say I really appreciate all your help Crimson Sky. You're definitely helping me bring my idea to the next level. I just can't believe how down to earth you are and willing to take the time out of your busy schedule to help someone new to modding like myself. OK, OK ass kissing session over, you can bring the kids back in the room now

How did the T-handle sketchup file work for you? Was it useful for you?

I thought about the chrome skull grill and I think the only thing I can do is what CHIMAERA suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIMAERA View Post
    heres a simple solution..... get rid of all of the chrome.... get it nice and smoothly ground clean.... and polish the FK outa it lolz
    Also instead of cutting the posts off I was thinking of just bending them back and using them to help hold the grill against the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehonkey;93106
    [COLOR=red
    How did the T-handle sketchup file work for you? Was it useful for you? [/COLOR]

I thought about the chrome skull grill and I think the only thing I can do is what CHIMAERA suggested.

Also instead of cutting the posts off I was thinking of just bending them back and using them to help hold the grill against the speaker.
    LoL...no problem man. When I see people take initiative with their projects, it's my pleasure to help. It will also give me a chance to practice milling and shaping. I will have to make one of those T Handles with a hex bit on the end, so you can use it to adjust and tighten the screws on the joints...how cool would that be?

yes the sketchup drawing is great, I havent had time to mess with it. My idea to hide your LEDs is to make a T handle with a nub of acrylic stock on the end so you can use acrylic cement and glue it to the frame in front of the LED. (does that make sense to anyone?)I'll also thread that nub so the T handle screws off in case you have to transport this monitor to a LAN party or sumthin.

the 3/4" round alum bar is about $5 per foot from www.allmetalsinc.com. Thats pretty cheap. Figure out how much stock we'll need for the length you want on the spine. Also figure out how MANY joints you need to get it to the shape you want based on the overall length.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 04-26-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    the 3/4" round alum bar is about $5 per foot from www.allmetalsinc.com. Thats pretty cheap. Figure out how much stock we'll need for the length you want on the spine. Also figure out how MANY joints you need to get it to the shape you want based on the overall length.
    Well the rod that was holding the pieces together originally measures 22" and I think 3 joints should work maybe a fourth just for backup.

Hmm..at 22" I'm thinking more like 5 or even 6 so it can make a smooth curve...thoughts?

Remember that the center of the LCD's gravity has to be relative to the base, unless you plan on clamping this to a desk--
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 04-27-2007 at 07:56 AM.