Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to watercooling

ATX Mental Case

Default Newbie to watercooling

i have never used watercooling in any of my setups so i was wondering what i would need for a wc setup. i am completely new to this idea and i just want a plain and easy list of what i would need to make this work. lets say i want to cool everything possible in my computer (not everything, just as much as is reasonable). assuming money is no object, what are the best components and where can i get them?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Newbie to watercooling

Reasonable? That would be the CPU and the GPU. Everything else, like the Northbridge, HDD's and PSU is just being an "enthusiast". Unless of course you are going for a "silent pc". Which is still pretty much being a "enthusiast". But the CPU and the GPU generate the most heat, so thats what you should be "water cooling". Especially if you are new to "water cooling". You can always add on later if you so wish.

So the next step is to decide on which kind of kit is better for you, 1/2inch tubing or 3/8th inch tubing? To decide on this, or at least how I would, we (as in I) need to know a few things. What is your PC case? What is your budget? What is your CPU and/or GPU? For me, those are the three main factors that will decide which size tubing is best for you, which will decide on numerous things. We can just throw in a bunch of stuff and hope for the best!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Overclocked

damn snowfire, you're the WC king! gimme some help on my thread "will this block work?"

i think i got everything sorted, but i can't be sure!
    sorry about the sig size ppl!
    ==================================
    AMD x2 64 5000+ windsor
    asus crosshair
    asus x1950xtx
    2gb OCZ platinum
    ==================================

If you like his help, give him Rep points with the little scales in his post.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

ATX Mental Case

alright lets say im an enthusiast. my case for this is going to be a thermaltake armor. my budget, well, lets say i can spend as much as i want. i want the best for this build. my cpu for this build is a intel e6400 2.13ghz (likely going to be overclocked at some point) and my gpu is a evga 8800gts

Well I guess I can give you a quick throw down. But as your still a "newb", i'm not going to go all out insane style. But it will still be sweet don't get me wrong. Better than what most people will have probably.

CPU

GPU - Just came out today I believe.

Reservoir

Pump

Pump 2 (not necessary)

Radiator - For the GPU.

Radiator 2 - For the CPU (not necessary)

Tubes (not necessary)

Tubes 2 - If you use the first set of tubes as a primary, you might need this second set of tubes for tighter bends and, as I hear, a even more wicked look. I think you could probably get away with just using the first set if you really wanted to though. I also like Tygon tubing alot.

Clamps - You can get these at the local hardware store, usually under plumbing. Twist as much as you can with your fingers, then a quarter of a turn with a tool.

Coolant

The idea behind this kit is to have a separate system running for both the GPU and CPU off of only one Res. Maximizing cooling performance while still blinging it up real nice.

Any questions, comments and/or corrections?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

ATX Mental Case

i noticed the gpu waterblock has 3/8" tubing connectors, while the tubing you linked to is 1/2". is this wrong or am i just misreading it? you also matched up my color scheme perfectly with this build, which is pretty cool.

Right, sorry, I guess I wasn't paying attention. Keep in mind that the GTS water block just came out on the 28th. Anyways, just as long as you get some adapters or replacement barbs (if they are interchangeable) it won't be a problem.

Blue is often the color of choice for... just about everyone.

I prefer a well designed mixture of UV orange and UV blue. It's a hard mixture to pull off, but when its done right it really pops!

ATX Mental Case

so you prefer a mixture of uv blue and orange in the coolant alone or in the system as a whole? it sounds like a pretty good idea, i might change a few of my blue ccfls out for neon orange ones.

btw, +rep for all the help

Separate. lol you would get a funky brown color if you mixed blue and orange in the same loops. ^_^