Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new work area

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Default Re: My new work area

Awesome. I'm gonna redo my office here in a couple of months.

How did you do the trim on the desk? It looks great.

+Rep

Great job. I gotta get my room done. You inspire me, haha.

Thanks to all for the nice words. It took several weeks and the hardest part was working around all the stuff in there. I will try to get some pics from farther back but it may be difficult... I tried it before with my cam and I can't get back far enough, but I will kepp trying.

For xmastree... the monitors only interfere with each other ocassionally - mostly when I turn mine on and the other monitor is already on - or if I degauss it.

For Commando... the trim was prebought trim from Home depot that was
    1/2" X 3/4" thick - just the thickness of the MDF desktop - I attached it using both woodglue and finishing nails. I knew I was going to do this before hand so I had to measure and cut all the MDF pieces 1" smaller on all the exposed edges.

Again thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Agnat

Quote Originally Posted by agnat View Post
    For xmastree... the monitors only interfere with each other ocassionally - mostly when I turn mine on and the other monitor is already on - or if I degauss it.
    I thought that might happen, it used to happen a lot at my internet cafe (that's me on page 5), when I had them in rows alternating like that.
    Usually when someone started up a game and their monitor switched from windows resolution to game resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

Nice table, I'm just concerned about its structural integrity though, especially on the outer support with the diamond cut out of it. pine already is an inherently weak wood, and putting a diamond like that would give it a great point to snap. do you have any support behind it? even a 1x3nom going perpendicular to it would give you an enormous amount of strength. also you may want to add a diagonal from the bottom of the leg, to the opposote side of the desk. both of these additions would give you more then enough strength, and what you're currently using simply is to weak. over the years, that wood will most certainly start to bend, and if you were to lean on it with those monitors, it could snap quite easily.
    1x3nom is just a few dollars for a stick (you dont even need larger then an 8'), and it will certainly prolong the strength for years.

Awww, how cute. You made a "his n' hers" desk...lol. And if you get annoyed with each other you can throw up a cubicle!
    rofl @ Jon.

This is pretty sweet though, nice work! Although i just know my girlfriend would annoy me constantly if we had something like that.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Moojoe, I understand your concerns but they are really unfounded. As you know, pine is used for almost all of the decks built in the south and when it comes to structural integrity, it is more than sufficient for the purpose used in my project. The middle leg of this set up is supported with one leg with the diamond shape cut in it, but it does not remove any wood from the center of the leg, leaving it structurally as sound as a 2" X 4" with t-braces at the top and bottom. There is a 2" X 6" running underneath the length of the desk top (somewhat like a joist) where it meets another leg made of 2 @ 2" X 6" boards cut in a manner where they make an x if looking at them at the ends. This goes under the long piece of MDF along the back wall as well as the middle leg. I have so much confidence in this set up that if needed I would have no problem standing on the middle leg with both heavy-ass monitors on there to change a light bulb in the ceiling!!! I am seriously confident in the structural integrity of this project and it has been standing for about 7 months without a single problem.

Agnat

ah, I didnt see in any of you're pictures that you had a support running under the MDF, it looked like it was just lying on the legs.
    pine is only strong when you support it by perpendicular supports. I spend a good portion of my day building all kinds of things out of pine (I work in a theatrical scene shop), and if one of the things you learn is that unless there are those verticals, you can easily snap the wood if you're more then just a couple of feet between supports.

I know exactly what you mean Moojoe! I have built all kinds of stuff using all types of media. MDF is very versatile and in conjuction with other materials is very strong, When used correctly, pine is a great and inexpensive alternative to hardwoods.

Agnat