Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reservoir Missiles.

Default Re: Reservoir Missiles.

Ok, another update on the reservoirs. But mostly the stands. I borrowed a router from my uncle and decided to round off the side edges of the Stands to give them a more clean look. Since they were so small and i couldn't hold them down to use the Router regularly, I had to flip the router upside down and use it like a table.

1st. Since the 1/2" pieces were too thin to use separately, i clamped 2 of them together and used the top piece as a guide line for the plexi to go against the ball bearing with.

Once clamped i started rounding them...

Once finished rounding all 4, i started sanding them to give them a perfect finish. Between using 3 different grits before buffing them...

Once sanded they looked like this...

Then after being buffed with some compound they looked like this...

During the course of me sanding and buffing my friend got bored and made a flower out of plexi glass, the kids never worked with plexi, he just picked some rods up and started fiddling. Turned into this...

I was pretty impressed for someone who has never worked with plexi, but anyway. After getting the stands nice and clean like i wanted, i started working on the Plexi bands i was going to use to hold the reservoir tubes into their stands. The original shape was going to be like a U type brace you hang copper pipes in your basement with. I tried doing it with 1/8" and it just cracked when i tried screwing it down. So i moved up to 1/4" and tried with that. I used my 3" whole saw as a guide for the plexi to melt around...

After letting it cool with the U-shape i started bending the corners at a 90 degree angle so they could be screw onto the stands... Thats when the problems started.

The 1st bend was fine and looked great...

But it was the 2nd bend that F'ed up the whole thing...

Seemed fine and like it was going to work, but once i took the piece off of the vice and tested it against the tube and stand, it was all messed up. It seems like the 2nd bend discombobulated the whole circle and made it non circular. I'm not sure what else to do, So any ideas are very much appreciated. But one thing I'm trying to stay away from is using metal, rubber, or anything non transparent to hold the res's down. So please let me know if you have an idea to make it out of plexi thanks

That's some damn fine fabricating!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Thanks, i might have came up with a way that would keep the brace straight and round to fit over the Tube and attatch to the stand. I was thinking of making a pattern the same size as the plexi stand, and using that to squeeze onto the 1/4" brace after heating it up to push it into the right size for the idea. I'll try it with some scrap wood i have lying around. Ill post some pics once i do it. As for now im going to see the number 23 and go bowling... later

Well my 2nd 3" Cone arrived at hobby town USA today and i just got back from picknig it up. I had to preorder one because they only had one in stock. So if i find the time tonight ill mod it into another cap and have another step done on the Res's

Quote Originally Posted by NocturnaL View Post
    Well my 2nd 3" Cone arrived at hobby town USA today and i just got back from picknig it up. I had to preorder one because they only had one in stock. So if i find the time tonight ill mod it into another cap and have another step done on the Res's
    Great job. I recognize that router the Porter Cable router. It looks like the 690 model but I can't be sure. You scared me using the router upside down like that. But you made it and you used a clamp to avoid injury. Bumbed out that the clamp messed up. But nobody ever got everything right the first time. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

Thanks Tale, appreciate your feedback. I'm on break from class right now, i plan on doing the other cap for the reservoir when i get home, so keep your eyes peeled around noon

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

How did I miss this thread?!?

+ rep for the fine work, keep it up.

And off topic (sorta), the whole bible verse reference on the first page of this thread had me thinking that it might have came from the Book of Armaments!

Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Great movie. Perhaps someone should do a mod?
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by drumthumper View Post
    How did I miss this thread?!?

+ rep for the fine work, keep it up.

And off topic (sorta), the whole bible verse reference on the first page of this thread had me thinking that it might have came from the Book of Armaments!

Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Great movie. Perhaps someone should do a mod?

I like what General Patton had to say.
    "Its not to die for your country but to get the other sorry bastard to die for his"
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

Ahh a little monty python humor eh? That would be a great mod indeed. I just need to finish this one 1st haha. Thanks for all the kind input btw