Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reservoir Missiles.

Default Reservoir Missiles.

Well i have yet to post a mod on this forum so i figured why not my new reservoirs I'm Building. I actually started building them about a week ago, but i would say I'm only about 40% done them. These reservoirs are an add on to my full Themed case you can find on my forum, www.wotp.net/forums if you find this interesting enough. Here is a verrry rough drawing i did of how i want these Reservoirs to turn out and the basic idea of how they will function. And when i say rough i mean im not an engineer and dont take any mechanical drawing classes lol.

I already purchased all the Plexi glass i need to do this project. A sheet of 1/2", a sheet of 1/4", 2 tubes of 3", 2 tubes of 5/8" and some various sizes of plexi rods.

I started off with building the caps 1st because it was the only thing i couldn't figure out how to do, due to limited tools. So my idea to get the caps to 3" without having an actual 3" whole saw bit was to just cut a cap 3 1/4" and rig it onto my drill press and sand down a quarter. It worked great in the long run, after a few hours of sanding that is....

I cut out 4 of these, and got them all almost perfectly Flush with the outer diameter of the Plexi tubes...

After i separated the tops and bottoms for each tank i put them both together on the drill press and sanded them so they were equally flush...

After a while of sanding they turned out looking like this

They look pretty damn flush in my opinion, but critiques and thoughts are what i post for, so open minds let loose

Once finished i cut 1/2" holes in the middle of them because thats the right size fittings and caps I'm going to be using with these...

and heres a shot of all the caps finished...

After the caps were done i decided to start doing the stands which would mount the reservoirs to the side of the case where i wanted them. (Basically a Defyant based design)

Once the initial holes were cut for the round parts of the stands i started cutting them out with the scroll saw. Which took a good half hour because i started using a really thin blade in the beginning and did the same cut about 30x lol

After the edges were cut they looked reallly ugly because of the scroll saw so i got some acetone out and applied some to get rid of the really nasty shards...

After each individual stand was cut out, i placed them under the uncut res-tubes to see how they looked...

And so the stands were done.

Default Re: Reservoir Missiles.

So all that work was done over the weekend, and now i started with the 1st Removable cap that i decided to use. I went to a local Hobby Town USA and bought a 3" Dia Spinner for an air plane and decided to mod it into the refill cap for my reservoirs. If you can decipher the ****ty hand writing and terrible drawing up top, you might have an idea on how they will function. If you cant read it, then screw it here it is lol

I tried a few test caps with previous spinners with just the basic idea of putting a bolt in the bottom part of the spinner and glueing it. After bondoing the spinner, the bolt broke loose. So i went a bit over board with this one. But i rather be safe then sorry .

I 1st started with cutting the small circle piece that will fit inside of the spinner...

After cutting it out, i put a bolt through it and through the base of the spinner to hold them together so i could mark the next holes for the bolts that will hold the plexi circle onto the base...

After marking i cut the holes. I know theyre not aligned right at all, but your not going to see the inside of the spinner after its bondoed, so i didnt really give a ****...

Once i finished drilling the holes i decided to start threading the 1/2" rod i will be using as the screw mechanism to take the cap on and off. So i lubed the rod and dye with good old vasoline and started threading...

After i finished threading the rod i started threading the 3" cap that will be acetoned onto the reservoir tube...

Turned out pretty nice, I screwed the rod into the hole once it was finished to test it out.

And it fit like a glove so i was very happy

Once that was done i got some small bolts and bolted the small piece of plexi onto the inside base of the spinner...

As soon as it was done, i got the rod ready by spreading some acetone onto it and then applied more onto the inside hole of the spinner base and put the rod in...

It was a bit too loose to only use acetone, so i got out my heat gun and melted it a bit so it would expand and bond with the circle piece of plexi..

Then after it hardened and was ready, i put the top of the spinner back on and tested out how it fit on the cap...

It ended up fitting very nicely and i was happy with the results. If you havn't noticed yet, this is the nose of the missile, i plan on painting it red after bondoing the holes in. I should have more updates comming this weekend. But until then, peace

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NocturnaL View Post
    And so the stands were done.
    lol that sounds like a bible verse or something.

"on the first day, he created "the stands". The modders saw that it was good and so it was and shall forever be."

or something like that, you get my point.

Can't wait to see these babies all finished up and working! I bet they'll get at least a couple of "ooohs and aaahs"!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Thats what im hoping for

This is awesome...can't wait to see it in action! I love weird reservoirs
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

wow, i'm looking at those and thinking "THOSE RES'S ARE FRIGGIN HUGE!!!!!!!!", looking like ur off to a good start though

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

I totally recognise those nose cones from when I used to be hard into R/C planes. Ok, I wasn't really hard, I was into crashing R/C planes mostly.

Killer Mod. Can't wait to see it come out. +rep

Thanks for all the feedback, and let me remind you this is the 1st time I've ever done reservoirs so errors are bound to happen, hopefully we'll get through them

Overclocked

ooh...aah
    +rep

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Mmmm... Some parts look just like donuts.... Dooonnnuts +rep

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast