Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Overclocking

After I install my aftermarket cooler, should I use nVidia's overclocking utility to OC my card? I have a BIOSTAR GeForce 6800XT.

-Anthony

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Overclocking

Well, it really depends on how long you intend on keeping the card. When you overclock hardware its life expectancy is significantly reduced. But if you really want to overclock, nVidia's overclocking utility works fine (once you unlock it of course).

I just installed my cooler. Well, considering that it's a somewhat middle aged (technology wise) card... well, brand new, but they've already come out with better stuff, I might could overclock it with some professional help... I'd like to keep it for about five to eight years... but might end up replacing it in five or six... or something like that, that's just a guesstimate...

ATX Mental Case

Five to eight years? Thats a really long time to keep a card. If you plan on keeping it that long I wouldn't suggest overclocking. I doubt an overclocked card could last that long and I don't think the small performane boost would be worth it.

I probably won't have it that long, that's a long time for any piece of technology... but I won't overclock it for a while...

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

If your new cooler keeps the overclocked card at stock temps then it'll last as long as a stock card. Its all about the temps. However, I've overclocked a 6800XT before and only gained 5fps, so I wouldn't really say its worth it.

Hope that helps

By the way, i dont mean to be rude but, a 6800XT just might last you 2 years if you don't mind low graphics settings. If I were you I'd get a new card in 3 years.

I'm not worried about fps, just graphics, as long as the fps isn't real low. I'll probably upgrade my card when I upgrade to Vista in a year or so...

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Use Power strip to overclock. Works great for me.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    Its all about the temps.
    I'm not so sure about that, I think chips can only take so many volts. I've seen a video of a cpu being overclocked with liquid nitrogen and the cpu became unstable after a while and that was like -273 C. However, the heat definably has a huge impact on how far you can overclock it, but I'm sticking to my guns in that if you raise the volts on anything it won't last as long. Besides, once you have to raise volts you won't be getting too much further anyway. So basically, if you want to keep that card for a while don't raise the volts!

I'm betting the card would be much much better if it were PCIe instead of AGP, but I'll upgrade later on when I get Vista...