Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning my next PC

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Planning my next PC

That power supply looks kinda cheesy. I would definitely get one with 4 pci-e rails for an sli set up. Each card takes two and the psu you listed only has two. You really really don't want to cheap out on the psu when your running high end hard ware. For that setup, I would expect to buy at least $200 psu if your going to run dual gtx's and what not.

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by monoflap View Post
    That power supply looks kinda cheesy. I would definitely get one with 4 pci-e rails for an sli set up. Each card takes two and the psu you listed only has two. You really really don't want to cheap out on the psu when your running high end hard ware. For that setup, I would expect to buy at least $200 psu if your going to run dual gtx's and what not.
    What do you mean by 4 pci-e rails? Do you mean 4 independent 12V rails? If so, that is just marketing.

Here is a good PSU by Corsair.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139002

I would get vista for dx10 saw some comparison screens definately worth it.

ATX Mental Case

What I meant was that you'll want 4 independent pci-e connectors for an sli set up down the road. If you look at the requirements for gtx it says "Two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors". You can use molex but it takes four connectors for one card. That's just ridiculous. Why not save yourself the trouble and drop an extra 15 bucks for something like this.

I actually wasnt planning on getting that PSU specifically, I just grabbed one off the list based more on wattage so i could get a ballpark figure on price.

The suggested ones look good, I might go with one of those.

Case Wizard

That Silverstone one is a good PSU. But... who knows what really is down the road. 8-pin PCI-e power connectors maybe? PSUs with 6 4-pin PCI-e power connectors for those who want to be ready for 3 cards?

for 160$ more id add another 74gig raptor and raid 5 all three of em you lose one of the drives but ull have parity and it will be screaming!
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha