Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slowest PC problem ever

Dude...totally!

Default slowest PC problem ever

Ok, so i replace my aging PSU with a new one and suddenly i cannot, for the life of me, understand what happened while swapping it out.

Now when i start my PC, the ram check takes about 20 alone, 5-10 times longer than it should. it takes equally elongated periods of time to get it to find my hard drives, yet it always finds them. the BIOS is the only, thing software-wise, i could get to run, and it seems to run fine, considering its justwhite on a blue screen. ><

can anyone think of what could have gone wrong here? why would it work, but only work at ~1/8 the speed? and more so, why would it stop working after i just swapped out PSUs?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: slowest PC problem ever

does the PSU have automatic switching between 220 and 110 volt? Or is there a switch on the back? Check the obvious stuff first. Make sure you unplug every device on the PSU and reseat it. Make sure the 12v 4-pin line for the processor is seated. just some thoughts. what brand/model is the PSU?? give us some sys specs.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Anodized

check with a multitester to make sure you are getting the right voltages out of your psu.
    i have had inumerable problems from ****ty PSU's
    i am the "starving artist" of the modding world

That's classified.

I'm actually having this same problem too. Yesterday I was cleaning an old PII* PC & PSU (9 years old) and now it takes almost 5 minutes to count the RAM (512mb).

I'll try unplugging everything as Crimson said and see if that fixes it.

*Pentium II 550mhz

You might just turn on the fast boot mode, which skips the ram test there Redundant.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    You might just turn on the fast boot mode, which skips the ram test there Redundant.

-Dave
    OK, I changed SCAN USER FLASH AREA to ENABLED and it seems to have made it _slightly_ faster (it could be my imagination) but not "as" fast of a start up of the BIOS as before it was cleaned.

EDIT: Do you think I could have screwed something up while taking it apart because I didn't change anything in the BIOS yesterday that would have made a difference. (In case it would help, I took out the PSU too and unplugged everything except the Proc. and modem (which was in a very odd looking slot))

You can disable the RAM check. It's not usually necessary on todays modern PC's. It's from a time when RAM was so expensive that they delivered in Armoured Trucks, and you wouldn't replace a stick if it developed a fault.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    EDIT: Do you think I could have screwed something up while taking it apart because I didn't change anything in the BIOS yesterday that would have made a difference. (In case it would help, I took out the PSU too and unplugged everything except the Proc. and modem (which was in a very odd looking slot))
    Not necessary, you said it is an old computer, maybe it's just time for a battery check

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Fresh Paint

although this sounds obvious: is the PSU rated to the power demands of your pc?

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by slytherock View Post
    Not necessary, you said it is an old computer, maybe it's just time for a battery check
    What exactly does the battery do anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    although this sounds obvious: is the PSU rated to the power demands of your pc?
    Yes, this is the stock PSU it came with.

Also, I hope I'm not hijacking AKA_RA's thread. *hands keyboard over to AKA_RA*