Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New project (first actually)

Default Re: New project (first actually)

Hi guys, thanks again for the welcome.

The custom trackball looks really good, in and idea world I would want to use something like that. However, on a pretty tight budget, and I have a black trackball lying in the house.

Regarding the usb for thumdrives/keyboards etc...there is already a plan for one in the back, you should see it in the diagrams. Although I think Bucko's idea with the high mounted cd will also apply to the usb port, don't want sand getting in there.

Regarding the vibration, I have thought about this, I think I'll use a second cd drive and run the OS off a live cd, probably a custom version of Ubuntu or Knoppix, that should protect the os. Obviously the mp3's are all backed up so although I'll keep the hd outside of it when not in use (magnetic field wise), if the worst happens I'll just throw a new one in, they are cheap enough anyways.

I am more than a little concerned about heat, the MB that I plan on using is a micro atx with a passive cooling system and a low wattage psu. Most of the heat will be from the monitor and the amp. Any suggestions on how to disapate this? I'm trying to avoid leaving too many holes in the case as I know sand will just collect in them.

Once again cheers guys, seems like a nice little forum.

I am more than a little concerned about heat, the MB that I plan on using is a micro atx with a passive cooling system and a low wattage psu. Most of the heat will be from the monitor and the amp.
    That heat is going to be the least of your worries... you're forgetting about the ambient temp.
    Right now, your computer is working it's little butt off to cool down all the air coming into it, and that air is coming from inside your nicely air conditioned house.
    I don't know about your house and beach but my home is usually around 74F and the beaches here can easily get above 90F. So that's another 15 degrees or so you need to add on to your cooling...
    Beach sand traps, absorbs, and holds onto heat... that's why sea turtles love it... it's also why we have the frantic "ooh aaah ouch" dance down to the waterline. If you're going to be setting that thing on the sand, even with a blanket, you should probably add another 10 degrees just to be sure.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Austral Alien

Quote Originally Posted by john_smith_scot View Post
    Good idea with the cd drive up at the top.

Dimensions are rough at the moment, approx 1 foot high by 2.5-3 feet wide by just over 1 foot deep.
    No probs!

Going on those dimensions perhaps the speakers to use would be a set of car speakers. A set of either 6"x9" or 7"x10" speakers would work well.
    The only thing to consider there is what the recommended resistance is for the amplifier.
    A lot of mains powered amps use 8 ohm speakers, where as a lot of car audio stuff is 4 ohms.
    If you use 4 ohm speakers on an amp that recommends 8 ohms, there is a good chance you'll burn out the amp.

As Ironcat says, ambient temperature will be a big factor in cooling this rig.

For what you are aiming to achieve, I'm still not convinced a PC based system is best. For the knocks and shocks this may get in transport and use, you risk bumping cards loose on the motherboard on what is really a fragile system.

If you dropped the screen and just went with audio, you could build a better system from car audio parts.

If you got an MP3 compatible CD head deck you could have quite a bit of music playing on a burnt CD. Carry a few CD's if you really do have a lot of music.
    You could run a transformer to convert mains power into 12v where available, while still having the ability to run power off a car battery at a remote location, or a cord running to a car to run of its battery if close by.

You could mount the amplifier at the top with the amp case (which is the heatsink for it) poking through the top.
    To stop people mucking with the head deck you could recess it back a little and have a lockable perspex cover over it.

(excuse my rough MS Paint work)

Some foam stick-on weather stripping on the door and it would stop any sand getting in too.

It would save any magnetic interference with the computer from the speakers, be more robust and handle higher temperatures more easily.

I know that practically Bucko is right but it just wouldn't have that wow factor, and since when has practicality every stopped any of us?

Regarding the ambient temp on the beach, think you are 100% correct, heat gets up to 115^F here (middle east). That being said, that would be too hot for us to be out in, when this is being used it will be at night on the beach so probably 50-60^F temp. Its true though, if this was being used in a garden then that could be a big problem, that will be during the day.

Mounting the amp so that the heatsink its outside the case could help a lot. Bucko, i'm not entirely sure what you mean with your diagram...

Regarding cards getting disloged from the mb, shouldn't be a problem, there will be no card, its a micro atx with onboard video/sound etc, thats why i'm using that one.

I'll redo the cad drawing taking all this into account and upload them again in about an hour.

I think we are making progress with this, thanks for all your advice guys, check out the new diagrams and let me know what you think...

Ok, as promised, here are the updated model photos, bear in mind these are in an ideal world, money may affect some of these...

Anyways, think this covers most peoples suggestions...

As ever, any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated...

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Nice fan grill on the fan would look a treat as it stands out quite a bit. Maybe make it so the panel hinges from the bottom forward so you have more internal access.
    Need a sig

Think you are right about the fan grills, would probably try and spray them red though to stay in keeping with the look. (Might actually try to put a couple of red cathodes inside as well, could look good.

Regarding the front hinge, I would just be a bit concerned about it holding up the weight of the lcd...suppose I could mount the lcd on the base, but if I do that it will still restrict access. I would hope that once this is built that I will not have to do anything internally anyways (fingers crossed)

Austral Alien

Quote Originally Posted by john_smith_scot View Post
    Bucko, i'm not entirely sure what you mean with your diagram...
    Well it was clear in my head...
    What I was saying was to do with using a car head deck:

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    To stop people mucking with the head deck you could recess it back a little and have a lockable perspex cover over it.

Some foam stick-on weather stripping on the door and it would stop any sand getting in too.
    Here's the pic labeled for you. Imagine a side view of the case:

So that is the head deck mounted and the angle bit to the right is the perspex door and lock. So when it's closed it's flush with the case and that's where the foam stick on weather stripping would come in to seal that little recessed box where the head deck front would be.

I hope that clears it up. It doesn't really matter if you are using a computer though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    you risk bumping cards loose on the motherboard
    Cards? What cards?
    For this job, a board with built-in audio and video would be adequate. Unless you're a real audiophile, in which case you wouldn't be using MP3s in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

Cheers Bucko, I get what you mean now, yeah that would work, but want the wow factor, plus I can use this for divx/dvd's etc...

(Future mod (money no object) could be a box that docks on the top containing an lcd projector! home cinema, all over the side of your house!)