Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: New project (first actually)

Default Re: New project (first actually)

Yeah you are right enough about the blow holes, was planning on cutting them in the top of the speaker boxes, think about a 3" diameter on each should do it, I don't think the main case will need one for the sub though because of the two fans that will be running in there (that might just be trial and error though).

Regarding the too loud thing, funnily enough someone mentioned this to me last night...I think the best solution could be the simplest one, put an IR port on the front and setup winamp with that, then just use a remote to skip/increase volume/decrease volume/mute.

Overclocked

The fans will overspin because of the air forced through them, and you may screw them.

Can't really think of a solution for that...I really want to keep the sub in the main box otherwise I'm going to ruin the look of the thing. Do you have any suggestions to get around the fan thing?

This is maybe totally off the wall but if the sub is going to be sucking air in and blowing it out, if I cut the blowhole at the top of the case, then wouldn't it push all the hot air out? Hence I wouldn't need fans? I think this is pretty unlikely but if it did work it would be a nice bit of overlapping tech.

If the fans did overspin, would be kinda funny getting the flying fan of death...lol

Overclocked

LOL

Actually, you could "isolate" the sub into the main box, like, shielding the sub from the inside and it would have its own hole. No air would be allowed in the box from the sub.

But actually, the no-fan solution could be a way to do it, hence if you decide to put all the speakers in the same box you could simply make a bigger hole and manage to get all the air out by cooling the whole stuff. Hence, if you actually want to do it, you could even put the amp(s) in the box to save some space and they would be cooled by the speaker's resonated air. LOL. Or, maybe sink them half-deep in the box, so they could be cooled a bit from the inside and have the "heatsinks" outside, making a design and allowing them to cool in a better way.

Someone should correct me in what I said, and I must say that the air "produced" by the speakers is not hot (or shouldn't be) since it's only the result of the speaker membrane resonating.

And, by curiosity, what are you finally planning to put in it?

I would isolate the sub from the electronics for two reasons. 1) so you can more accurately control ventilation of the cpu side, and 2) you don't need ports on a subwoofer. I have tried building boxes both ways and have been much more impressed with the bass when there is no port, just sealed box. The very best bass I have achieved has come from a sealed fiberglass enclosure built within a sealed wood(particle board) box.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I said that I would try to post some pics of my friend's home sound system that blew out a glass door but found that I don't have any stored. Although I do have some pics of another friend's theater that is damn nice as well, I'll post them here for entertainment purposes. If you feel you don't want them in your thread just say the word and I'll pull them.

Here is the main system rack (there are more amps behind this wall that cannot be seen). This is actually only two channels, L and R only and he later added a Brysen 7.1 processor and more amps.

His turntable cost more than my PC

In the middle is my old Veldodyne 15" servo controlled self powered subwoofer, at the time I bought it there wasn't much better but now it's old news. He bought it out of charity as I was collecting money for a trip to China.

Here is one his front channels, all connected together he runs these with only 1 watt (don't ask me to explain how this works but believe me when I tell you, I didn't know that sound could be this loud and clear)

I never got a chance to see it with the theater screen installed, but I stood in the middle of the room while he did some sound tests and holy ****! I am certain it could be heard for miles.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

That looks sweet!